Saffire PRO 24DSP + Shure SM7B, setup.

Har

Hello. I just got my stuff, and I'd like to use 100% of it's quality. To be honest, I don't know what am I doing wrong, but the sound isn't the best. It's even worse than my personal USB Mic Samson G-Track, which is around 10x cheaper. So right now I just need your help according to boosting the quality. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? What should I do?

I use Cubase 5.1, ASSIO SAFFIRE, and some kind of drivers called Saffire Mix Control. In Windows7 x64 I have chosen 24bit 44.100 in recording setup of my audio driver. What should I do else? Is it only up to mixing the vocals in cubase?

There is also another strange thing that I can't deal with - audio monitor works only for one ear. I mean if I plug headphones to monitor1, I hear the sound of my voc on the left, and if I use monitor2 I hear the sound on the right. Is it normal?

Please help me, because I'm struggling here. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG. WHAT ELSE TO DO? Is it possible that with such a good world-class setup I have worse sound than not well-known USB mic Samson G-Track?

/

The one monitor problem doesn't exist anymore. Strange thing, I needed to go to VRM, and now it's gr8!

Last edited:
The sound quality could be any of a billion things (although there isn't much that can go wrong in such a short chain). The "one ear" thing sounds like you're trying to record a mono source to a stereo track.

But it's not about recording. When I turn on the Saffire24, I can hear myself then, without even using cubase or recording anything. But whatever, this problem is really small. The major thing is about quality. Thank you for an answer!

Well the mono thing is probably because of how saffire mix control is set up. I use the pro40 and mix control is weird.

On your pro24, the headphone outputs should be outputs 7 and 8 (two outputs since it's stereo, outputs 1 and 2 are likely the monitor outs). Make sure you have outputs 7 and 8 assigned to the headphones, and 1 and 2 to the monitors. I may be wrong about the output numbers

Monitor 1 is the mono out that should go the Left monitor, and Monitor 2 should go the the Right studio monitor. You need to assign two ouptputs to the headphones to get stereo.

I can't help you with cubase or the sound quality. You should be able to plug your mic into one of the inputs, turn on the phantom power (not sure is sm7b needs it, i don't think so), and it should work. Have you changed the default sound card in cubase to the pro24? also try running it without mix control opened...it'll work.

Back