running two sets of cans off the same mixer

dobro

My mixer's got one phones output, which has been fine until now - I want to bring somebody into the studio and be able to have two sets of headphones running of the same output. How do I do it? Can I buy a splitter that allows me to run two sets of phones out of that one phones output?

You need a headphone distribution amp. While a splitter will work, you will have to crank the volume to compensate for the power loss driving twice the load and this will add more noise.

Plus- with the headphone distribution amp you usually have individual volume controls to compensate for the various efficiencies and/or preferred volumes in each set of cans.

My Rolls sucks but does the job well enough to overdub a track.

In other words, if you are looking for Hi-Fi, forget the Rolls but overdubbing usually only requires that you recognize the melody and the the rhythm to sync yourself with the track.

For Hi-Fi I run an aux send pair from my mixer to another unit that has headphone outs, like my TASCAM CDRW-5000 and use the headphone outs on that puppy.

If you're in a cash crunch or want to save up for a really awesome headphone distribution system, but need something cheap and now, Radio Shack sells a little three way amp that runs off of a AAA battery for like $20.00 or so.
It has a single volume control and a 1/8 stereo male with three 1/8 stereo females. (But that might prove a hassle for you.) I used one with my four track and it was fine but adding headphone extension cables sucked.

(Naturally check like Muscians Friend for the Rolls or other semi-inexpensive brands that should have 1/4 in/out and individual vol.pots for each feed.)

*I don't know the level you're at, so please forgive me if my suggestion was offensivly cheap or non pro.

:)

Behringer has a good inexpensive but better alternative to the radioshack thingy! Now i'm gonna lay my head in shame for naming it!:D

Before you buy....

I have the ART headphone amp and it blows big-time. It's difficult to get enough volume (like for tracking drums) without distortion. At the time, I figured, hey it's cheap and I'm not looking for HiFi reproduction but now I regret buying that damn thing. Just think "distortion." I wonder if the Behringer is better than this piece of crap.

I use the Behringer headphone amp and it is very cool! I have had no issues with it in regards to distortion. It also has an altternative input for each channel which lets you put say, more guitar into the guitar players headphones.

I myself use a Samson distribution amp. Works quite nicely for what it is. I got the small model for about $60 locally.

If you got time to build one, there is a schematic for one at

http://www.paia.com/hda.htm

Theyw ork well. I built a prototype for one and it worked quite nicely. Upon removing fromt he rack though, some of the wires got yanked out of place. Time constraints got em though so I had to buy a "premade" :D

Most extra headphone amps seem expensive to me - (50 or up for something useful!).....

if you don't mind having the exact same thing coming out of both headphones, I'd just buy a splitter. That's what i do for now. In fact, I even have 2 splitters, to split a split signal - to have THREE out of one output. Sure, I gotta crank it up, and maybe i hear some fuzz. but it doesnt bother me. The fuzz doesnt get recorded. the phones are just so i know what notse to play and when to play them! haha

Before you go investing in a distribution system

What type of mixer do you have?

Can't you get a stereo to mono ¼" Jack for your 2nd set of cans and use an aux out to give yourself a second can mix?

Sure it's mono but it's good enough for a $1 connector before you go spendin big bucks on a decent distribution amp.

Hmm... that's interesting. I think I'll try that. However, I really don't know how to use my mixer - I always bypass it when I record, and then I mousemix, so I've never figured out what a mixer does. Should be easy enough, right? LOL

So you don't even use your mixer?

Could someone tell me what "YMMV" means? I haven't got all of your lingo yet!

Hey MemoGtr,

ROTFLMAO = "Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off"

BTW = "By the way"

IMHO = "Im my humble opinion"

LOL = "Laughing out loud"

:)

Can't you get a stereo to mono ¼" Jack for your 2nd set of cans and use an aux out to give yourself a second can mix?

NO!

Your headphones need power, the Aux send won't supply this, just a signal.

Thanks Scott and Billy for teaching me this new language!
ROTFLMAO!

...nice:D

Back