Running cable outdoors

teamdresch

What's the best way to protect a multicore that has to be run between two buildings? It's probably going to have to contend with rain and cold for a few hours a day... anyone done this?

teamdresch said:
What's the best way to protect a multicore that has to be run between two buildings? It's probably going to have to contend with rain and cold for a few hours a day... anyone done this?

Is this a temporary thing or something more permanent? How long of a run is it?

Around 20-25m or so. It can be permanent if I can figure out how to do that properly - it's an xlr multicore, by the way.

teamdresch said:
Around 20-25m or so. It can be permanent if I can figure out how to do that properly - it's an xlr multicore, by the way.

If permanent, the way I would do it is to put a pipe (plastic) in the ground. Not sure where you're located but in NJ, plastic pipe has to be at least .9m (36"), galvanized pipe can be less deep. Since your run is ~ 25m, this is something you may want to consider having a professional contractor do.

Two important things to remember:
1.) If your going to go through the trouble to dig a trench and run pipe, use a pipe that has a diameter that will allow future expansion (more cables).
2.) Make sure that you pull multiple pieces of some type of nylon cord in the tube. The cord is used to pull the multi-conductor cable through the tube. Having more than 1 cord will provide a means to pull additional cable in the future.

Good luck!

I would go the conduit route if possible. If you have to fly it overhead then string up a steel cable with screw tighteners and attach the audio cable to that.

What height are you going to mount this multicore cable? There are codes here in the us as far as height above streets/buildings/windows/driveways. The underground conduit is the best idea in this situation. For something like 2" pvc, being under 300volts nominal, you can get away with a buried depth of 18"

Yeah, it's from a shed to the back of a house, so it's all on private property - also I'm not in the US, so the same restrictions don't apply. So, you reckon the multicore would work happily through cold etc. if it was laid properly in a pipe?

teamdresch said:
Yeah, it's from a shed to the back of a house, so it's all on private property - also I'm not in the US, so the same restrictions don't apply. So, you reckon the multicore would work happily through cold etc. if it was laid properly in a pipe?

Yeah, it shout be ok. If you are that concerned about the cold, if you bury the conduit below the frost line, the below ground temp will be warmer than the air.

Look at the temperature rating of the outside jacket of the wire. If it is going to be permanent in pipe, then you shouldnt have to worry too much about the cold. As long as it stays dry, then you wont have any rotting problems. Good luck, and if you dont have power run, I would go ahead and run two pipes one for the multicore and one for your power. Just a thought.

Check the material used of the cable. Some cables do not fare well outside, even in a pipe. Temperature rating would not be a problem in a permanent installation, the temp rating indicates safe manupulation.

Are you going to pull it through the pipe with the connectors on it? Then you may need a bloody great pipe. Why not use a multicore and terminate it directly to a patch panel?

Take care of earthing! Before you connect anything, make sure there is no voltage between the earth of the shed and that of the main building. I have known an installation with 5A running in the shield of a cable (cat5 FTP) and not many things connected to it worked properly...

Back