routing midi tracks to a mixer

YJ

Does anyone know if there is a quick way of routing midi tracks, lets say 5 tracks, simultaneously and separately to a mixer. I have created midi tracks in band in a box and then imported them into cakewalk (pro audio/demo, professional 8) and have a wave 8/24 soundcard and a mackie 1202 mixer. It would be nice if I could route these tracks directly and seperately into the mixer in one shot rather than one at a time.

I don't think you can route MIDI tracks to audio per se, but if you converted them to audio (via "recording" them while playing) you could send them to the mixer via multiple audio outputs simultaneously.

OK. But in order to record each track seperately/simultaneously wouldn't I need to be able to play them back seperately/simultaneously. The wave 8/24 doesn't allow me to play back midi files and the sound blaster only has one port. Please shed some light.

Dragon's talking about converting the MIDI tracks to audio tracks and routing THEM
through the hardware you've already got.
The MIDI specification takes 16 MIDI channels and routes them to a synth whose usual output is two audio line level channels. If you need more discrete audio feeds to send back to your digital recorder you can get multiple synthesizers and trigger them via a multiple MIDI port device. A long time ago, MusicQuest made an 8 port model. I'm sure there have been improvements in this field since then, like USB support.

interestingly enough I went to a music store and they recommended that I get a 2400 EMU sampler which includes 6 outputs (3*2)or a Layla/Gina card. I guess I could opt for one of those cards excpet I don't believe they work under windows NT.

Back