Routing for External Speakers from FireStudio?

gvdv

Hi,
I want to increase my monitor options for recording beyond the headphones that I've been using for tracking and mixing, I want to output the signals from my Presonus Fires Studio to a set of speakers.

I originally thought that I could output to a preamp, but it was pointed out to me in that other thread that I would actually have to use a power amp.

Which outputs would I come out of on the back of the FireStudio? And should I plug into an auxillary input on the power amp?

Also, I presume that this will work regardless of whether I use a receiver or an integrated amplifier, and that this is what people meant by a power amplifier. Is that right?

Thanks,

You should be able to use any of the 1/4" output pairs on the back of the FS - as I uderstand it it really all depends upon how you have your routing set up in the Matrix Router software - but probably the norm would be to use the Main Outs, giving you the use of the volume control knob to control the playback volume.

The volume control is important especially if you are running direct to a straight amplifier or to powered (self-amplified)speakers that lack their own volume controls. As to whether to go to an amp or an integrated amp, whatever you got that takes line in will work, it doesn't much matter. You have nothing that you actually need to preamplify, since the FS is already outputting standard line level, so any line in (such as Aux) on any integrated amp or amp will work. (All an integrated amp is, BTW, is a combination preamp and amp in one box.)

G.

Hi SouthSIDE Glen,
Many thanks for your reply.

I'm actually going to use non self-powered monitors, so I'll need an integrated amp to boost the signal for the speakers, I think.

I've been advised elsewhere that, as you said, the main outs are the ones to come out of, via the output/routing tab of the Presonus Control Console.

Thanks once again,

Back