Routing external Pre's through Mixer ???

Easto

I've never had the need for an external Mic/Inst Pre but it looks like the day is coming near. Up until now I've been tracking through a Mackie 1604VLZ and using the built in Pre's.

What is the procedure to make sure that the external pre is utilized to it's fullest when routing through the Mixer, or is it best to route the Pre directly into my soundcard?

Yeah, that would be the most direct route.
With the mackie's, going line-in still hits their pre, just padded down. One way is to split the output of the pre with one going to the mixer for monitoring.
But I guess that leads to the question, how do you do the 'choosing the best subtle mic pre differences' when they're still daisy-chained for the monitoring.
Hmm.. :confused:

I plug my FMR RNP preamp into the line-in. I have assumed that this does bypass the mackie mic preamp stage, but still routes the signal through the EQ section. Am I correct? The most pristine path is direct in to the soundcard as you say, but you lose the advantages of the mixer. I use my mixer for the headphone mix, patching in compressor, adding reverb to the headphone mix for the vocalist, etc. I use the direct outs from my Mackie into the soundcard.

ALBERTPIKE said:
I plug my FMR RNP preamp into the line-in. I have assumed that this does bypass the mackie mic preamp stage, but still routes the signal through the EQ section. Am I correct?
Ever see the block diagram? ;)
Anyway, don't we tend to stray a bit too much off into the minor stuff in the total picture? :o :D
Wayne

This question is of great interest to me since I just plunked down $$$ for the RNP. What does the block diagram tell me, mixsit? Should I really bypass the Mackie altogether?

Straight from the RNP to the soundcard with a balanced cable. TRS to TRS. That's of course if your card has balanced inputs. Yes, bypass the Mackie.

ALBERTPIKE said:
What does the block diagram tell me?
Everything about the mixer. Signal flow, options to operations and features.
It's like drivng around with out a map, not knowing there's three other way's to get where you're going, why some roads are dead ends.
The Block Diagram is your friend. :D

FYI, you can build a special TRS cord to get a second monitor out on the RNP insert-out with out interupting the signal (but you loose the insert function which is a shame). Solder the tip and ring connections together on one end of a balanced 1/4 cable. The bridged end has to go into the RNP and it feeds unbalanced to the mixer.
Seems like there's also a way to get line level into the mackie insert to bypass the mixer pres, but I haven't gone there lately.

Cheers

Yes, my Aark 24 has TRS inputs. It also has definable outputs so I can route the input directly back to the Mackie board for monitoring. This is very cool, guys. Thanks!

You should be fine to route the outboard pre through your mackie. Just leave your preamp gain to unity. If you are not adding or subtracting from the amplitude at the (mackie)preamp stage you shouldn't be coloring the sound.

Good luck

no that will colour the sound.. i routenely run signals through different compresors/ eq's that i leave at unity gain just to slightly colour the sound (usually going for a warming effect), if a signal is pasing throug a unit's circuitry, it's going to alter the sound... it doesn't matter if the unit is at unity or not.. it's going to affect the sound..

Back