roommates

smashngrab

i just got divorced i have roommates now, what is the best pair of headphones i can get for monitoring/mixing? budget is 200 bucks

bennychico11 said:
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

a little more comfortable than the Sony's and better isolation, IMO

I agree that the isolation is better, but I find the exact opposite in that the Sony's are MUCH more comfortable. And sound better, inho.

And the never ending battle between Sennheiser and Sony headphones continues. :)

Personally I think the Sennheiser line of microphones are very underrated and very good for many applications, but you couldn't give me a pair of Sennheiser headphones. I have never liked the sound of them myself. I've used the Sony headphones for several years now and swear complete allegience to the Sonys.

But I have several associates whom I respect who equally swear by the Sennheisers. It just goes to show that everybody's ears and tastes are different.

Both are quality headphones that can take a lot of use. Try them both out at your local dealer and check them for comfort (important for long sessions), isolation and sound. Pick what you like between the two. The price and build quality are basincally the same, so pick what works for your head and your ears. :)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Personally I think the Sennheiser line of microphones are very underrated and very good for many applications, but you couldn't give me a pair of Sennheiser headphones. I have never liked the sound of them myself. I've used the Sony headphones for several years now and swear complete allegience to the Sonys.

Both are quality headphones that can take a lot of use. Try them both out at your local dealer and check them for comfort (important for long sessions), isolation and sound. Pick what you like between the two. The price and build quality are basincally the same, so pick what works for your head and your ears. :)

G.

That's why I have a pair of both :)

thanks

thanks for all the replies, so are u saying it would be best to mix in my monitors at low volume.

gear is motif 6, mpc 1000, acoustic guitar, presonus firepod into pc cubase sx
paid for not cracked!!!

My opinion, yes. I'd listen to as much commercially released stuff as you can through your system to learn your monitors at the volumes you'll be mixing at. At low volume (or extremely high for that matter) Fletcher/Munson curve problems can make it hard to judge what's really happening.

I'm really happy with my newly acquired "Sennheiser HD280 Pro" phones. If you try a few at your local shop, you'll see that these have very good isolation.

thanks probably better just wait till no ones home, lol or just find a way to dampen out the sound any suggestions?

just stack things in the room to break up the sound waves...and wait til no one is home. but when you cant wait, grab the headphones for monitoring and finding little errors in the music....mix with the monitors. oh yeah and jumping in on this S vs S debate....Sennheiser is my choice but its not like i havent been caught with a pair of sony's.....flip a coin and buy a pair of either

not to put a point on it but
sony headphones blow for anything critical, even in the 200$ range.

i think this matter has been sufficiently covered...lets not start things up again with suicide bombings and kidnappings, giraffe

Often have similar probs as when I'm able to mix, the kids are asleep. Very often I use the phones to do all cleaning, gating and often even some compression. Then I do rough mixes with it, setup the delay a.s.o.

The end mix has to be heared through monitors. You'll always get something very wrong with cans... If you hear errors, they often can be kinda corrected with cans, but then its monitor time again.

aXel

Back