room tone?

paresh

Hi - i recorded an eBook into audio but it wasn't accepted bec I didn't use room tone between edits. Can someone tell me or send a link on how to do this? If I record silence with the mic live, I think I would need it to be a different link for each time I paste it into an edit? Thank you!

Yeah. what he said ^^^
Record the room ambience....then remix it in with your existing audio track, that way you end up with one track or cut it ip any way you like.

I'm not sure I see why you even need it in-between the edits. Just fade each audio to silence for each edit.

I'm not sure I see why you even need it in-between the edits. Just fade each audio to silence for each edit.

It's what they do for anything with just spoken word, such as audio books and movies. It's because the room tone/preamp hiss/allkindsofnoise is in your recording when you're talking no matter what, so if you fade it out to silence, you'll suddenly go from hearing that background "shhhhh" sound to absolute silence and it's usually an unsettling sound to most people.

I've heard about it a LOT for movies, but not as much for eBooks. I guess it makes sense why they do it that way though.

Yes...between words of sentences and with pauses you would want the ambiance. That's why I initially suggested he just drop the ambiance where he wanted it and mix it all back down to one track.

I wasn't sure what he really had going on, I'm not into ebooks all that much. It looks like he already HAD the ambiance to begin with....then edited it out between the words...? Also, the way he was saying it, talking about "each link", it sounded like they were individual audio clips for different sections of the ebook and not flowing together with ambience in-between.

Don't they do spoken word for books mostly inside of dead vocal booths?
How much ambiance was there?

Like anything audio, without hearing what we are talking about, it's not always clear what the answer is.. :)

It

I've heard about it a LOT for movies, but not as much for eBooks. I guess it makes sense why they do it that way though.

I would think with movies they do a lot of ADR, and then create whatever ambience and specifc background noise is needed for the right feel ....plus foley effects and special sound design stuff....
...unless they keep/use the original dialog they shot on location, then I would think the ambience would be vital.

Always found that kind of stuff interesting, but never had a chance to really get into it....other than some basic audio for video when I worked in TV produciton for a short time, but it was moslty about doing spoken word with canned background music against the video footage we shot.

I helped record and edit an audio book and I just cut out the mistakes, leaving the "silent" parts of the recording between words. There was no need to replace the room tone after the fact. I think the other guy working on that project obsessively cut out the audio between words.

Before that I recorded and edited dozens of spoken audio tracks that accompanied various slide shows at the now defunct Sun Microsystems Inc. using a cruder version of the process that still left room tone in the spaces between words.

Some DAWs actually have a "replace with room tone" function and, when you edit, use a specified track rather than silence.

Alternatively just record a couple of minutes of the room silent, loop it, and use automation to fade it up and down over edits. Quick and easy once you get into it.

Back