RODE NT1 and what?

hugodebruin

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations regarding an audio interface.
The mic needs 24/48 v phantom power and I'd like it to have preamp.
I'm recording as a solo artist.

Which audio interface best suits my needs, and which soundcard?

Hello,

Virtually any interface you buy will have both a microphone pre amp in it* and deliver phantom power and almost always at 48 volts.

To start with the cheapest but very useable (had one) the Alesis i02 is under $100 US, bit more the Steinberg UR22, more again, Focusrite 214 but also look at Tascam, M-Audio, Presonus, Audient. The Behringer U range keep getting good reports and are stupidly cheap but I have not tried one and not seen a review I trust.
You do NOT need a fancy, external pre amp! The NT1a is a very quiet mic with plenty of output, mic/pre noise will not be a problem.

You WILL need a very quiet place to record and need to put up some sound absorbing material to kill room modes (unless treated ALL rooms sound ***t!) Such materials are a "tent" of duvets, blankets or other such material. NO GOOD sticking 'stuff' on the walls! You need to stop voice getting OUT into the room (stuff behind mic) and then stop 'room' getting back into the mic (stuff behind YOU).

AFAIK the NT does not have a built in attenuator? If not you might need an inline XLR 20dB pad and then get very close to the mic..POP SHIELD! Proper 'frame' type.

You have begun a rather rocky road but with a bit of effort modern kit is capable of superb results. You do not mention recording software (aka DAW) most AIs come with something. Cubase most often but Audacity is a good start and Reaper will see you to the Final Call!

*There is a huge gap in the market for a LINE in only AI, 8 ins/outs say of decent quality and projjy price.

My apologies, you have the NT1 not 1a. No matter, still a very quiet mic with a very healthy output.

Dave.

Last edited:
To second what Dave says... I have the NT1000 (which is considered a bit 'better') and just about any modern interface with phantom will get the job done. Pop filter and shock mount are the only other necessary gear.

You would need a better mic to truly realize any benefits of a dedicate external mic preamp.

What room treatment do you have?

What plugins are you planning to use in the DAW?

^^^ These are the more pertinent questions IMO.

To start with the cheapest but very useable (had one) the Alesis i02 is under $100 US,

Dave.

Hey Dave, Just some info..... according to the Alesis site the Alesis i02 is discontinued and most retailers I've checked out do not carry it any longer. A shame because it had some decent features for a good price.

The hardware doesn't matter. Drivers matter. All hardware is good, these days. But it's useless when the driver gets no upgrades to fix bugs, or newer OS versions.

Either you go with a company that has good longterm driver support, like Focusrite.

Or you buy a USB Audio class compliant device, like most Behringers. This one uses drivers buit into your operating system. No install needed.

The very best is RME, they still support their hardware from 20 years ago. One driver for all. I don't know any other manufacturer of audio interfaces that comes close. Superior hardware too, but pricey. Still, a 2nd hand Babyface (previous generation, not the BF Pro) can be had for around 300 € if you're patient. Very good mic preamps and ADAT expansion if you need more channels.

Hello,

+1 for Focusrite Scarlet

Back