On RNC 1773

Lil monkey

My RNC 1773 before use. Without using the super nice mode is still not very smooth voice,It gives me a headache.
My Attack: 0, release : 0.5 gain : 0 Ratio: 10: THRESHOLD: 10 - 1 .

what are you trying to do, control dynamics, or add an effect?

10:1 is super high on the RNC. I would go above 3:1 on vocals with that. Also if it's dynamics you wanna control, fast attack of .4-.6, and fast release of .1-.2 should be good. Remember the attack is in ms and the release is in seconds.

And, your threshold is gonna be a huge factor in smoothing out vocals.

But, yeah mostly your release is too long (IMO), and your ratio is way to high, and your threshold seems pretty high (but that depends on the volume of the source).

That's not a "smoothing" ratio -- If you're looking to smooth things out, 1.5, maybe 2:1. 10:1 is an "absolutely crushed" ratio.

I'm also a fan of relatively long A&R on most vocal applications -- 50-100ms attack, 1-2 second release (for "smoothing out the level").

That said, we have (A) no idea of the input level of the source signal (B) no concept whatsoever the actual sound of the source and (C) not even the tiniest clue of how that source is supposed to fit into the mix and even if we did, (D) no idea of the context of that mix.

And at that point, no one can really tell you much...

Read the manual, then do a google and read how compressors work. The RNC is a great compressor but has a learning curve to be able to set it up correctly.

Alan.

Hello guys.
I have a RNC1773 which I was told is great for a budget studio. My problem is I don't know how to plug it into my Mbox 2 pro and Pro Tools 8. I have tried every combination I know with no luck...Help please.

Start with all the knobs straight up, then turn the "Threshold" knob up or down till you get one or two LED's flashing on the loud peaks.

I don't know how to plug it into my Mbox 2 pro
You don't.

You need an interface with more I/O (I suppose there could possibly be a way to route the signal if you're using an external converter - possibly - I'm not sure of the routing options on that unit).

Unless you're talking about running a compressed signal at the input --- I wouldn't personally recommend it, but you'd run the line level out of your source into the line level input on the RNC, then out to your interface's LINE input.

1) connect interface outs to RNC ins...2) then RNC outs to interface ins. That's how you connect it.

3) Now, the hard part is figuring out how to route your track out to the outputs you connected to the RNCs inputs in step 1.

right, it depends how you want to use the RNC, i.e for mixing or for recording?

for recording, you'd need to get an external pre amp and go;

Mic ---> external pre ----> RNC -----> Mbox Line in -----> Logic

if you want to use it for mixing, here's what i do;

Set the output on the track i want to compress to "3-4", pan it hard left (so that the signal only goes to output 3) and put the fader to 0db. then, on the mbox;

Line out 3 ----> RNC in then RNC out ----> line in on Mbox. create a new track in logic, set the input to whichever line in the RNC is plugged into and arm the track to hear it.

this means you can monitor the sound of the compressor separately to your mix and then listen to it in the mix as well. if you just want to hear what you're compressing, mute the "1-2" output on the far right of the mixer. to hear it all just unmute it. when you're happy with it you need to record the track back in to Logic. bare in mind this will add some latency so once you've recorded it back in to logic you'll need to drag the track back a smidge in the arrange window (i normally create the new track below the one i want to compress so that when you come to move the newly recorded track you can line it up with the track above perfectly)

Also, as everyone else has said, 10:1 compression is crazy, especially on the RNC. at most i go for 6:1 and that for peak taming. tbf, the manual does say, if you've not used compressors before, start by putting all the knobs to their "12 o'clock" position and then adjust from there. also, the "super nice" mode is perfect for smooth sounding vocal compression so try it

Back