RME Babyface Pro

gnelson1948

I have a question, no engineer here just trying to record my compositions, musical instruments no problem at all, but when it comes to vocals I am beating my head against the wall. I use Reaper, interface is RME Babyface Pro, USB connection, and have tons of computer memory.
if I record a soft lower tone vocal they are fine, but if I push at all there are edges on the vocal. I know it may not make a lot of sense, but that is the only way I know how to explain it.
question is this, am I missing something in the setup of the interface in regards to making it the best it can be?
one more thing, I have a Tascam DP-24 track, and the vocals do not sound this way on it, very confusing to me. I have in some cases recorded the vocal on the DP and moved the WAV files to my computer, but I bought this RME thinking that would resolve my issue.

my MIC is an AKG 414

It could be better resolution of the RME, but have someone listen to the "edges" to find if it sounds like distortion, or, what it really is.

Hi,
Are you tracking hot and clipping when you sing louder?

Keep an eye on your meters and always make sure there is room above the peaks.
If you think it's too quiet, relative to something else, that's OK. A healthy recording is the important part and placing it comes after. :)

it is not distortion, I know it may not make sense, but it has a glassy edge sound, I used to have a M-Audio interface that did the same thing, but I do not hear this when I record on my DP-24. I have also tried different microphones. so I was wondering if there are any tips on the settings on the Babyface

I have tried it both ways, high and low, I have moved back from the mic at loud points, I have stayed in the same position while singing and it makes no difference. low singing is not as noticeable. I have tried different microphones, I wrapped towels around me while singing :) but no difference. so I thought I might be missing some setting option in the babyface, not sure. I will test again this coming week.

Well, there, certainly, could be something wrong, but that might be the Tascam : ) The preamps are way cheaper than on the RME . Make sure your operating system isn't echoing system sounds with some "record what you hear" virtual device.

Well, there, certainly, could be something wrong, but that might be the Tascam : ) The preamps are way cheaper than on the RME . Make sure your operating system isn't echoing system sounds with some "record what you hear" virtual device.

Yes, I would also bet it is the better pre amps on the RME that are showing up "something" in your voice.
It should be possible to isolate the issue? Can you use the Tascam as a pre amp and feed the line inputs of the AI? Then, try the RME as the pre amp to the Tascam. You could perhaps try a really cheap Behringer or Art pre amp? Heresy to me but what ever gets your canoe to float!

Posting some clips would be interesting to those having the lugs to hear them properly!

Dave.

Big +1 to Dave.
I think it's time to post a clip. :)

hah Well, he doesn't need to post a clip, just have someone listen to it and tell him if it's good, or, bad : ) While its just a condenser MIC, it could be he just prefers the reactive loading of the Tascam. It don't hurt to think of the MIC and Pre. section as one circuit. The M-Audio may of had something else going on - who knows.

As hinted at above, lots of different preamps can help you get a taste of how they all sound different.

I would tend to think that the RME and the 414 are "revealing". Maybe, too revealing ? I think some people would like that edge to trim in processing. Rather than trying to introduce some bite in a flat track ?

Well, it's at least his second interface and I wouldn't know how many recorders he's had, but aren't the basic distortions recognized with the first gear ?

Post #4
"it is not distortion, I know it may not make sense, but it has a glassy edge sound, I used to have a M-Audio interface that did the same thing, but I do not hear this when I record on my DP-24. I have also tried different microphones. so I was wondering if there are any tips on the settings on the Babyface "

I'd rather hear it before telling him what it is.
Hearing a clip, even if it's just to confirm what you thought, is almost always helpful.

As I menetioned earlier my first interface was a M-Audio, the cheap one, and it did the same thing. Is there a posting on here with recomendations on the computer settings? Maybe I need to go back to the beginning and make sure all the settings are correct? I do need to mention I perform live shows and when these shows are recorded my vocals are perfectly sounding. Go figure.. :)

"As I menetioned earlier my first interface was a M-Audio, the cheap one, and it did the same thing. Is there a posting on here with recomendations on the computer settings? Maybe I need to go back to the beginning and make sure all the settings are correct?" (grrr! 'King IE11!)

No, there is nothing special nor hard in setting up an interface. Set for 24bits (16 if yer haf't) 44.1kHz and get the average modulation sitting at -18dBFS or so (or 1/2 way up the DAW meters) . Job's a good'un.
I have personally owned a good 1/2 doz' interfaces including the FTPro (which son still uses in France with a battered XP Dell lappy!) and never had a problem getting a decent recording. My very musical son is about as technical as a camp fire but recently hooked up my A&H ZED10 mixer and my F'rite 8i6 at his sister's and he and a grandson made some very acceptable recordings.

That is the thing with digital. It either works "perfectly" or it bites yer bum off!

Dave.

I'd rather hear it before telling him what it is.
Hearing a clip, even if it's just to confirm what you thought, is almost always helpful.

There's no problem with that other than the posting format. In Post #2, I suggested someone listen to it, I don't care who it is. I would liked RME to listen to it, if I had a choice : )

I'd rather hear RME weigh in, as the MFG. I'd think there would be clips of the BabyMUg out there to compare, if nothing else.

I have no experience with the 414 or the RME(or, anything close), but glassy edges without distortions just sounds like improved image, to me. I've a lot of TEAC/Tascam preamps and they don't seem to have that "OPEN" sound (solid state, tube TEAC has a bit). I can get a measure of glassy edges from my EF86 preamps.

Supposedly, the XLR load is 2.4k on the DP and 2k on the RME. The 414xlII recommends 2.2k, but who knows how sensitive that is ? The xlII also has a hump

OP, can you clarify...
You bought the RME hoping it would resolve the issue, but the issue is with the RME?

By edges, do you mean in the graphic representation on your screen, or are you describing the sound?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like we're not certain which hardware has an issue, and we're not certain what the issue is.

" I can get a measure of 'glassy' edges from my EF86 preamps. "

Hah! Oh yes, very good!

Dave.

Back