The right mic for shouted vocals

ShoutOutKid

Hi,

I'm totally new to home recording but i started a transatlantic music project with my old band mate (i moved to the US from Europe) and now i need some help. What mic would be the best for recording shouted vocals for a hardcore band? The price range is $100-$200.

And what kind of an interface do i need if i want to record directly on my imac, using Garageband? Are usb mics good enough for a professional sounding recording (the rest of the music is recorded in a studio)?

Thank you.

Hey man!

The interface you should buy depends on what are you going to record. If you going to record vocals only, then any 1 or 2 track channel interface will do. If you are going to record drums or full band I recommend you buying something with more inputs, otherwise you can have some trouble.

I would recommend a dynamic mic for shouted vocals, as they are less sensitive than a condenser, and thats a good thing when your vocalist is screaming his lungs off. You can buy a ribbon aswell, but these are more expensive. A Shure SM58 or SM57, a Sennheiser e835 or similar can get the job done for you.

Hope I helped with the infos.

If you really mean shouting, try the Audix OM7. It's a dynamic specifically designed for loud situations...for example, it's my go to mic when I have to mic a drummer who sings.

I wouldn't recommend a USB mic of any sort. You'll quickly find it limiting in lots of ways: choice of mic, ability to monitor with sufficiently low latency and, yes, often quality. A USB mic COULD be as good as any mic but they tend to be cheaper mics aimed at the low end of the market.

Thanks, both of you!

I have access to a Zoom R16 and i've tried to use it as an interface before but it has too damn many moving parts for my skills. But i suppose it will have to do since i've got a super shoestring budget..

i think sm58 is ideal for it. i wouldn't use a ribbon b/c shouting could tear the ribbon.

If you can find a used SM7b / RE20 / RE27 / PR40 that should put you in "oh yeah" land. Other than that, you could definitely do worse than a 58.

The venerable Shure SM58 has such a high SPL rating that they cant even generate a sound loud enough to test it. There is no chance of anyone shouting into this mic to distort it so its a pretty good workhorse for almost any stage work you want to do.

Almost any dynamic mic will have a high SPL rating so its pretty much up to you as far as what you can afford

Back