Rhythm Guitar recording

Seafroggys

Still working on bass tracks right now, but pretty soon I'll be laying down electric rhythm guitar for my album. Not sure the gear I'll be working with as far as guitar, but I'm pretty sure I'll be running it through an old MusicMan 65 watt amp, its very warm sounding with light drive.

Now, the rhythm tracks will just be chords in the background of the mix. There's usually an organ part that will be over it in terms of frequency, and the bass will be under it. This leaves a small window for it to operate and function. It'll probably be the most buried instrument in the mix.

Should I bother with a dynamic up close/condensor far away approach, or just stick to a close mic? My dynamic mic choices are an SM57, Audix i5, and Senn e609. I'm thinking the i5 might be the best because its slightly less ballsy than the 57 and has lower mids, making it less muddy. What are your guys' suggestions?

I've always been a fan of sennheiser's, personally. I would say you choose whichever one has the strongest presence in the frequency band that won't be covered up.

I've always been a fan of sennheiser's, personally. I would say you choose whichever one has the strongest presence in the frequency band that won't be covered up.

the e609 is a bright, cutting mic. I plan on using it (in conjuction with an LDC) for the lead guitar part, but being a buried rhythm part, I want something that blends well.

Do both. Then audition each version and see which works best in the mix.

Might also try combining the two.

Ah yes, the easy answer ;) My main question is which of the two mics should I use. WOuld the 57 fare better, or the i5?

Back