Reverbs & Drums

Pub Style

You Are The Walrus
Back before I had any kind of recording gear, whatever band I was in at the time would have to find a place to record our stuff. It was always a huge struggle to get the guy/studio owner to use any kind of reverbs on drums (I'm primarily talking about the snare and toms) I never understood this, they had the effects but for some reason wanted to keep things dry, real dry, even for vocals.

I asked our drummer to pop over and play a 30 second drum solo thingy.. I like to give the snare some "air. Any thoughts? What do you prefer? I'm always looking to improve my drum sound/recording/production. A little reverb never hurts. Does it?

Note: I would never, ever throw reverb on the cowbell:D

Drum Cheque by Audio Monster Records

Ya think? I am in no way suggesting pinning any effects at the recording stage. Thought that was just common knowledge.

Back before I had any kind of recording gear, whatever band I was in at the time would have to find a place to record our stuff. It was always a huge struggle to get the guy/studio owner to use any kind of reverbs on drums (I'm primarily talking about the snare and toms) I never understood this, they had the effects but for some reason wanted to keep things dry, real dry, even for vocals.

I asked our drummer to pop over and play a 30 second drum solo thingy.. I like to give the snare some "air. Any thoughts? What do you prefer? I'm always looking to improve my drum sound/recording/production. A little reverb never hurts. Does it? ..
Shouldn't be 'a trouble (in studio) at all -long as you are both 'on the same page' as too why, what style etc.

Can't now, but back with some ideas later..

That clip seems like it has reverb on it to me. Or is that just the room? If it is the room and you have room mics, compress the snot out of them and use them for the reverb.

That clip seems like it has reverb on it to me. Or is that just the room? If it is the room and you have room mics, compress the snot out of them and use them for the reverb.

Yes, there is some Bright room/Reverb Room on on the snare and toms. No compression whatsoever, pretty raw. I like your idea "compress the snot out of them."

Yes, there is some Bright room/Reverb Room on on the snare and toms. No compression whatsoever, pretty raw. I like your idea "compress the snot out of them."

You can do the compression thing a couple ways. You can leave the drums alone and just compress the room mics, or you can send everything to a bus and compress the bus.

The advantage to compressing the bus is the room is always pushed out of the way when a drum gets hit. If you can set the release time so that it pumps in time with the tempo of the song, it can add to the feel.

The disadvantage of compressing the bus is the room will pump...(if it's inapropriate)

Back