reverb/pan approach recommendations re-instrumentation

smg

Been studying about this online +figured I'd post over here to get some specific feedback-

Making some recordings that are fairly simple in terms of the mix-keyboard/bass/drums/pad mostly ...

Finding info suggesting an approach that involves the keyboard w/reverb/delay in the center(or on two mono tracks panned R/L before the stereo track mixdown),the drum track using indiv rev for the snare(plate type)as well as delay,the kick/HH etc dry and then adding rev to the drum mix track,and different ideas about whether the bass line should be wet/dry....

The keyboard parts on these tracks are more focused on rhythmic comping/fills than a lot of sustained chords( which the pad sections have)..I'm wondering what the best type of rev to use would be as I've read that too much rev/too long a "tail" isn't used w/this type of keyboard approach as it tends to mess up the percussive effect....

The hardware equipment I'm using to put these tracks together is-

Casio WK6600 keyboard workstation

ZOOM Rhythmtrak 223

TASCAM DP-008ex......

The Casio has diff types of rev/adjustable amount as well as a more sophisticated DSP "delay"w/adjustable parameters as well as "reflections ",settings that can be used....looks like I could use the three in conjunction...

The ZOOM rev module is also fairly sophisticated w/things like adjustable pre-delay
Finally the TASCAM has individual track settings w/types of reverb/time re-depth/level adjustable..

Given these options,and my focus on just using reverb in the context of making a basic mix sound good in terms of the stereo image and professional sounding for marketing purposes as opposed to using it for an effect where the reverb is obvious,what would the best approach be?

I want to avoid situations where the use of too many different reverb settings for individual tracks(i.e.one type for the keyboard/one for the drum mix track)produce a muddy end result but on the other hand don't want a completely dry mix.....

I'm wondering if it would be better to either use the CASIO WK600 options then avoid adding additional track rev once they're recorded or using the reverse approach where instruments are recorded dry then applying track reverb on the TASCAM.....

Any suggestions re-specific types/amounts of reverb to use/approach to using the delay reflections settings in the context of sparse mixes to make them sound fuller etc appreciated.....

Again the overall focus is on enhancing an "acoustic" approach to the overall material on these tracks rather than going after a "processed"sound where things are overly adjusted for effect.....I'd like things to sound llike they were recordings of live performances as opposed to studio creations within the context of doing what is needed to produce a "polished"end result.....

You might better off using a delay on the keyboard part/pad.
If you use a reverb, something short and make sure to HP and LP the return send so you don't get reverby mud coming back to you. You can use mono or stereo. Whichever sounds best.

Back