Removing drums from a song

Tileeba

Is it possible to remove the drums from a recorded song using a Sound Forge or Sonar plugin? If so, how can it be done?

Thank you!

YEAH!

You may be able to greatly lessen the drum sound, but i don't think you can all together remove them. But from what i understand if you take the audio tracks, and line up the normal ones and flip a copy of those in complete reverse and play them simultaneously you can remove the center channel. Like some vox, kick, snare, and bass guitar. I have never done it so i can't say if it works on everything but give it a shot. It just phases out that center part. but since alot of music uses wide panning, especially on toms, you may only eliminate part of the drums.

Could you guide me through the process?

I am sorry! I guess I should have posted in newbies. But could you guide me through the process? Starting with the music on a CD...using Sound Forge or Sonar...

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Tileeba said:
Is it possible to remove the drums from a recorded song using a Sound Forge or Sonar plugin? If so, how can it be done?

Thank you!
No...plain and simple.

I challenge anyone here to do so...

Go ahead punk, make my day.

well shoot...all those Hendrix and Beatles albums that had all that weird ass panning... just turn your balance knob...if you have one!

Jake... your day has been made...

and you have musician swaps?...you lucky turd.

Oh, c'mon...you know what I mean. cutting a channel will result in the loss of other instruments as well in most of those beatles recordings that have drums on one side.

Yeah, we have one at our music store "easy music" here every six months or so. they sell strings for two for half price and seriously slash every old, overstocked, package deal or demo model that day. Outside people gather around to unload their broken, overpriced and useless stuff to unwary customers. Ocasionally someone like myself will show up with a decent peice of gear at a geat price.

To do what Analytical Man was saying, which will only take out what is panned in the center, record the left and right channel from a CD into two seperate tracks in Sonar. I don't think Sonar can import directly from a CD. Then next to the track or in the mixer view find the button that looks like a "O" with a line through it. Hit that only on one of the channels, this will reverse the phase of that channel and when mixed with the other channel, all common information between the two will drop out. But from drums you will really only loose the kick and the snare, along with vocals and bass too, most likely anyway. There is no way to do what you are looking to do.
Good Luck

If by chance you are looking to do this for practice purposes, search for MIDI songs of songs you want to play along with (quality varies drastically and will also depend on your sound module). Load them into an editor and mute the drums. Bingo.

Back