Reducing controller keyboard key noise in vocal take

As a piano/keyboard player trying to record vocals, I recently discovered that I get a much better vocal take if I record the proper keyboard first, then play piano along into a dummy track while singing. The key to the vocal is to be playing while singing.

That's all fine, but I was getting a little plastic-y key noise from the controller recorded in the vocal take. In the end I kept the better vocals even with a little key noise in the background because they were that much better.

Next time, how would I do this without getting the key noise in the recording? Or should I just not worry about it? I can play by touch so I don't need to see the keys.

This is basically the same as the guys with the acoustic guitars who claim that they have to do both at the same time, and the answer is the same: Get over it! Practice. Learn. Get better at what you do rather than dig yourself further into this rut. It may not give the instant gratification, but you will be better off in the long run.

This situation is actually better than with an acoustic guitar cause you can go ahead and sing your face off while you track the keyboard with worrying about that bleed, but... In my experience doing similar things, it almost always comes out better when I focus all of my energy on the instrument I'm actually trying to record.

Practicing until you can do just the one isn't a bad idea.

Maybe try a different keyboard that doesn't make so much noise?

Depending on how the key sounds are coming through, you might also be able to only mime playing in certain parts. e.g. if there's a passage where you sing quietly, stop playing the keys because they'll interfere more then; but when you're belting, the keys should be less of an issue.

Back