Recording without Computer

jonathanacdc11

i would like to upgrade recording recording but hate recording with computers. is it possible to basically re create my ZOOM HD16 but with all outboard gear so I can choose the mixer, effects, preamps etc. How can I put all this together so I can mix and edit right on a board. I don't even know if this is possible thanks

some people use multitrack harddisk recorders like this
hd24xr_front_lg.jpg
And this attach to any mixer which in turn to any outboard gear. But you will have to mix down to another source.

or maybe this...
Product: 2488neo | TASCAM
but I'm not sure about being able to bypass the onboard pres.
I'd imagine ya could, I just don't have experience with it.

I use this...
AKAI DPS24

but is sadly obsolete.

I've never used a computer for recording and am a little leary of em. My DPS has been rock solid for years but every thing dies someday.

Anyway, is that what you were thinking?

You could use something like a Zoom R16, which has the ability to mix-down on it, and run your outboard gear in front of it. So your signal would go something like this: Mic>Outboard gear (pre-amps and effects)>R16. You wouldn't use any of the presets on the R16, just use it to record and mix with.

I love my Zoom HD8. Same unit as your HD16. I do use some of the effects on the deck, but I plan to get a couple of outboard devices to feed into it and give me more intuitive control. Right now I plan to get a Digitech multi-effects unit with 94 name brand amp models/speaker cab combos built in. That would simplify the recording process, I think.

I have just this week started experimenting with importing my tracks from the Zoom, into Mixcraft on my laptop...then adding the very good effects there. So far, so good.

I record in various locations both live and studio using an SX2442fx feeding into a Zoom R16 for dry recording and a Tascam DP01 to take the stereo mix.
This (obviously) allows for post production on my DAW as required.
I don't like many of the effects on the Zoom as they sound a little "plastic" to my ears.

I am returning to recording after a absence of 20ish years so may be a little ignorant on the subject but I have found the above both versatile and clean .

Beware of the inability to bypass onboard pres with these things. Mostly it can't be done - they're called "studio in a box" for a reason... it's all in the box and not flexible.

I use an AW4416 which is long in the tooth these days, but DOES have inserts on a couple of tracks. With an insert you can bypass internal pres - so I use rather higher end standalone pres than the Yammy onboards. Line ins are also good, but not common.

I use the Zoom just as an 8 track recorder. Post production is in Cubase 5.1.
The Behringer SX2442FX is plenty good enough for now - maybe later I'll achieve my dreams.

By the way I also have an M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI card and use that (mainly) as an out to an Azur 640A and passive Gale 3020's

The tascam DP-24 and its predecessor the 2488 neo both allow you to, I suppose essentially, bypass the preamps by running balanced line inputs into the inputs on the back of the device. The audio may still be running through the preamps though, with no gain being added.

I record to a 2488 neo, and I use a good pair of outboard preamps, which I've been very happy with. I used to record to Tascam DA-38's that ran into an analog board, but when I went to upgrade, the next higher price point for outboard hard disk recorders was too much cash. Nowadays, the HD24 is not available new, and I don't trust the used electronics market enough to get one used. The only option these days is a handful of Tascam 48-track outboard hard disk recorders, but with all the necessary equipment, those run 5-6k alone, and then you need a 48-channel mixing desk for monitoring/mixing.

I'd check out the Tascam dp24, since it gives you 8 simultaneous inputs, 24 tracks of playback, and 255 total tracks per song to store audio material on (you can record 255 tracks of audio and export them all for mixing in a DAW - the only limitation being that you can only assign 24 of those tracks to the physical faders on the device at one time)

Back