Recording vocals in an untreated room

Big Mike B

So I'm about to begin my first proper recording project (recording an entire band rather than just myself).
I have the drums, bass and guitar recorded at a very decent quality. We plan to record the keys soon too. And of course there are the vocals. The issue is, I don't have a treated room. If I use an SM58 and close mic the vocalist, can I get a decent quality recording of the vocal that will sit well in a mix?

If not, what can I use as a very quick and somewhat effective substitute for room treatment? Could I record the vocals outside?

So I'm about to begin my first proper recording project (recording an entire band rather than just myself).
I have the drums, bass and guitar recorded at a very decent quality. We plan to record the keys soon too. And of course there are the vocals. The issue is, I don't have a treated room. If I use an SM58 and close mic the vocalist, can I get a decent quality recording of the vocal that will sit well in a mix?

If not, what can I use as a very quick and somewhat effective substitute for room treatment? Could I record the vocals outside?

Hi
Yes, you can get good results with a dynamic mic up close. That's the best way to keep the room ambience out of the recording, apart from treating the room.
Every room is different, too. A dynamic mic recording in the average furnished bedroom/living room will probably work out just fine.
A few friends of mine have very echoey apartments that I'd never record in, though. What's your place like?

I still put up acoustic panels even when I'm doing dynamic mic vocals but, even without the panels, a dynamic mic (being very close to one) does a much better job for me than a condenser.

Acoustically speaking, recording outside isn't a bad idea.
You're in Enniskillen though so I'm guessing wind and rain are going to be a factor. :p

Whatever you do, do a few test takes to make sure you're going to be happy with the recordings, rather than finding out you aren't after hours of recording. ;)

Yeah getting a sunny day here is like winning the lottery :P

I'm not doing it at my place, but instead at another band member's house. I have major issues with anyone living within a 100 metre radius (and vice versa) so if I were to record here the vocalist wouldn't be able to fully use his voice. Thanks for the reply!

Yeah getting a sunny day here is like winning the lottery :P

I'm not doing it at my place, but instead at another band member's house. I have major issues with anyone living within a 100 metre radius (and vice versa) so if I were to record here the vocalist wouldn't be able to fully use his voice. Thanks for the reply!

Heh. Fair enough. :p
Unless his rooms are super dooper echoey, a 58 should be fine. :)
If it's a long term thing, try to get the loan of an sm7b/md421/re20. I love mine.

The thing that wrecks a lot of vocal tracks is lo-mid mushiness.

You can use a tone generator set at about 300hz and walk around your room looking for acoustic resonance. This results in small areas throughout your room where the waves of that frequency converge and become louder. You wouldn't want to place your mic right in the middle of one of those.

Online Tone Generator - Free, Simple and Easy to Use.

It's interesting to do this with lower frequencies too (try 60hz). If you stick your head in the corner of untreated rooms you'll hear how much lower frequencies gain amplitude. This gives you a clearer picture of what is happening with bass traps and other room treatments.

A mic baffle like Gonzo suggests is a good idea even after room treatments....or a booth....even better. You could make a baffle that works well...or one that doesn't help at all. You have to use the right materials. The standard on this is Owens Corning 703 - 2"... Amazon.com: Owens Corning 703 24"x48"x2" Fiberglass Boards - Pack of 6: Musical Instruments

If you get a box of that you'll use it up.

If it's only vocals being recorded you could make a difference by just hanging some thick blankets around the singer, I know it's not ideal and you would need to experiment so that you are not killing the highs too much, but it would be better then a really live room with lots of bad flutter echoes. Even moving furniture around can change the room sound.

Ideally build some gobos to place around the singer.

Alan.

Hang a duvet in a corner, get the vocalist singing with his back to the duvet.

Add a reflexion filter (or similar)

Thanks for all the responses guys! We had originally planned to record tomorrow, but since we couldn't agree on a suitable time, it has been delayed until next week.

Back