Recording vocals in stereo?

With the GREATEST deference to the many alumni here! I disagree, a bit.

Sure, if you are a bedroom wannabee (c'est moir, tho' I don't sing!) and close mic to keep the room out, that is a mono source.

But Pavarotti 2mtrs from a mic in a glorious acoustic is certainly not. "Stereo" lest we forget, does NOT mean "two" it means "solid". Recording a singer or even a small instrument in a good acoustic demands stereo for fidelity since we do not listen to music in anechoic chambers.

Even in an acoustically crap bedroom (got one ta!) I find an XY pair on anything makes the room "believable" on replay. 'S'not "better" but it does at least sound more natural to me. "It's the Bedroom!"
If you have a guy that can't keep his sax still, stereo captures the movement whereas mono just gives weird level shifts. And I don't want to start a cow but, CO-I does not give rise to any phasing effects.

This is why I am dead against interfaces with just one mic input..Don't cheap out like that people!

I am hoping when son gets back for the holiday that he can spare his old man some time to do some guitar recordings. In light of this thread I shall be running some stereo (only got one pair of mics worth the mention AKG P150. Wonder if I could get a pair of M5s in time......????)

Dave.

Back