Recording Vocals - MONO

JonPaulP

Hi all,

I just set up a new mic and in Cubase the audio shows up as a stereo track with the vocals only on one side. Is this how it's supposed to be?

I did this to the vocal track:
process --> stereo flip --> merge

Will doing this cause a quality loss?

Also, if I'm planning on exporting the final vocal comp as a mono wav file for an engineer to mix...how should the vocals be...should I use the stereo flip or leave it with the vocals on one side?

Thanks a lot!

1 You should be able to set up a track in Cubase to be just a mono track. That's all you need.

2 If you want to export a file for an engineer to mix, just give him the raw mono file as recorded.

I agree with gecko zzed! Doing the stereo flip could end up inverting the wav. I'm not sure about quality loss, I wouldn't think so.

There is no quality loss, but you could save the step by just recording to a mono track in the first place.

You also need to configure the inputs as two mono inputs instead of one stereo one.

In CuBase, you should be able to change your VST connections under the Input Tab to "Mono Bus" instead of the stereo bus, than when you click on your audio track there's a little "quick select" that will flip to "none" on your Input when you change to mono...so be sure to flip that back over to "In -> Mono". that should do it!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the responses!!

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Attached is a screenshot.

I tried to add a mono bus to it...but when I record with the mic, nothing comes out. What should I do?

Attachments

• cubase.jpg
    cubase.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 78
Set up two mono busses. One needs to be the left input and the other is the right input.

then you have to go back to your mono track and select the input that your mic is connected to. (probably the left input)

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the responses!!

I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Attached is a screenshot.

I tried to add a mono bus to it...but when I record with the mic, nothing comes out. What should I do?
This is not the correct page to be looking at to set up a mono track in Cubase. I don't have cubase in front of me so no screenshots, but when you 'Add Track' you'll have the option there to select between Stereo and Mono. When you select Mono, you will then be able to select Right or LEft channel of your stereo interface, which I'm guessing is your Realtek soundcard. :eek: That's all there is to it.

He won't be able to select a right or left channel because it's set up for a stereo input buss. He needs to add two mono busses, one for each input. Both the mono and stereo busses can exist at the same time.

He won't be able to select a right or left channel because it's set up for a stereo input buss. He needs to add two mono busses, one for each input. Both the mono and stereo busses can exist at the same time.

Ya made me go and find a screenshot... :mad: :D

When adding a new track, the input channel pulldown will have 'Stereo In' then, if it's Mono, it will also have a sub-pulldown for Left or Right channel.

This is an old pic of an old version, but it is the same in Cubase 5 which is what I have now.

Cubase2.jpg

Why the hell doesn't nuendo let me do that?

Ahh, the crackedz versionz of Nuendo don't do that!! Just kidding. :p

Oops, I just realized that wasn't a screenshot for Add Track, but it still does the same thing. I'm traveling this week, so don't have access to Cubase for a better screenshot.

Back