Recording vocals - levels and compressor technique

p1551p

I am recording vocals in Cakewalk Home Studio 2, using a rack mounted compressor and a small mixer.

http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

My connections are good/the connections setup is right.

-Using a mic into the mixer; I am getting levels on the mixer, the compressor and in Cakewalk.
-Singing into mic, while adjusting "trim" in a Cakewalk track, I set a max level just below 0 db in the Cakewalk track meter.

-I have the compressor attack and release on auto.

-It seems to be compressing/limiting; when I sing, it won't go past 0db on the Cakewalk meter. (When I turn off the compressor, the levels drop drastically.)

-But, when I playback the track- the level shows lower in Cakewalk (i.e. During recording/singing the level was near 0db, but then the playback level shows near -18db.)

[Note: I take the "arm track" button off for playback. This level difference will be present also if I turn off the compressor during playback.]

I have already been informed to:
-To use the tape to control room/NOT the tape to mix button to have the vocals right with the compressor.
-To have ALL of the volume sliders (in Cakewalk) all the way down, or else it will mix with the other sounds and defeat the purpose of getting the compressed audio.

I can see just having the vox track all the way down during recording - but when I put all of the sliders down; I don't hear ANY of the tracks.

How do I coordinate the trim in Cakewalk, the volume slider(s) in Cakewalk, with the mixer and compressor levels?

I just want to do vocals that will sound fairly clean/not distorted/not too low.

Isn't the ideal recording level just below 0db, but not too low?

I'm really racking my brain on this -help is needed and appreciated.

First of all, there is no need to record any of your instruments that hot. If you track everything to just below 0, you will end up with all of your faders down really low at mix time (or you'll have a mix that clips). If you have 24 bit converters (and most people do these days) try recording at -6 db or so. You'll have much more breathing room.

Secondly, recording meters are different than track playback meters. They don't measure the same thing and you shouldn't expect them to register the same levels nessisarily.

Record level is an external function -prior to the A/D. The controls in cake (referring to trim here) do not control what's recorded. They probably effect input monitoring if you're using that. (I don't so ..? ;)
My experience is that their meters do line up very accurately, even with some external ones I've checked (compared Waves L2 with the output buss). The meters can be set to different scales and/or RMS Vs Peak, which can look different.
Leave some safe room at the top per the Nappa' man and worry about the big stuff. :cool:
Wayne

p1551p said:
-It seems to be compressing/limiting; when I sing, it won't go past 0db on the Cakewalk meter. (When I turn off the compressor, the levels drop drastically.)
It shouldn't unless you have too much make-up gain on the compressor's output knob.

-But, when I playback the track- the level shows lower in Cakewalk (i.e. During recording/singing the level was near 0db, but then the playback level shows near -18db.
- This level difference will be present also if I turn off the compressor during playback.
Something's out of whack. Is the compressor patched into the mic channel for recording or the mixer's main path?

-To have ALL of the volume sliders (in Cakewalk) all the way down, or else it will mix with the other sounds and defeat the purpose of getting the compressed audio. I can see just having the vox track all the way down during recording - but when I put all of the sliders down; I don't hear ANY of the tracks.
Exactly. Unless there is something about your soundcard that won't let you listen and record on separate paths..? :confused:

Thanks for the responses.

mixsit
Exactly. Unless there is something about your soundcard that won't let you listen and record on separate paths..?
It's a full duplex Turtle Beach soundcard.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/santacruz/indetail.asp

On mixer/preamp:
I have the Tape-Outs (L/R rca) going into 1/8" input jack on card.
I have the 1/8" output jack on card ("front") going to (L/R rca) Tape-Ins.

In the soundcard control panel, I have "Line In" chosen for "recording source" and the microphone slider is muted in the mixer tab, (as recommended to me by the manufacturer).

Chibi Nappa
Secondly, recording meters are different than track playback meters. They don't measure the same thing and you shouldn't expect them to register the same levels nessisarily.
As far as getting different levels during playback -the final product/level is what's imporatnt, right? So, what if I test at a certain level and then check the playback to see if it is, for example near -6db?

Also, I guess I need to differentiate: Your recomendation of recording at "-6db" is what I see in the Cake meter or on the compressor?

Back