Recording a ukulele

mjbphotos

I've got a new acoustic/electric uke. I experimented a little today, using the pickup direct into my interface, the sound is not too bad that way.
Guess the next step is to try micing it at the same time.

Anyone with experience recording ukes? This is a concert-size model.

UKE.JPG

I recorded uke last year for a record, and I'll be doing it again soon.
It was a tiny one though. Closer to a toy than an instrument, but I like it.

I just set up an mk219 about 2 feet away and went for it. Nothing fancy.

I record ukelele for people occasionally....typically a mic pointed toward the 10th fret, angled towards the body. similar to how you would on an acoustic. just be careful of the sound that your fingers will make while strumming the uke...it can be a killer for the track.

No one with any experience using a built-in pickup? I've recorded a few takes so far, and pretty happy with the overall sound. No quiet time in the house to be able to record with a mic yet.
Helped with live sound at a show earlier this year where we used a 57-style mic on the performers' ukes and it worked well (both performers were also singing). On the other hand, Greg Hawkes and his uke band all plugged in for their set at the same venue.

I have recorded uke with a small diaphragm condenser mic, positioned about an instrument body length away from the soundhole.

I recently recorded uku with both a mic and internal pickup. The player kept hitting the wood with his pick on the down strum causing a click or knocking noise, so the mic'd track was rather annoying. The knocking noise did not transfer to the pickup very much so, that track was more usable.

I EQ'd out some rumble at around 100 - 200 Hz and added some top end for sheen, (I think it was a gentle slope from 7000Hz and up.) It worked out pretty well using the pickup only.

That is a very nice looking Uke mjb. Very nice indeed.

I bought myself a Uke for Christmas just gone and I love it. Only recorded it once so far but I got a half decent sound from it with my cheap SDC about 12" in front of the 12th fret, pointed at the sound hole. I play with my fingers so you can hear some finger nail twang, but I think some of that is what helps get 'that' sound.

I haven't yet got or tried a leather pick, but I will pick one up next time I go shopping.

I went for a Tenor in the end. I did try a few different Soprano, Concert and Baritone's but the Tenor for me had the best feel when I played it and I loved the sound immediately. Here's mine: KALA KA TEM

Image00001.jpg

Actually many hawaiian performers recorded their hits though a pick-up. It's not that unusual... But you have to make sure you're holding a great instrument - possibly Tenor size - with a great pickup otherwise you end up recording a "sounding box".

As for the rumble, don't worry: beside a couple models, all the uke frequencies stop below 100hz.

I always mic the Uke and never use the pickups.

Almost anything can record them OK, but the last time I used a ribbon mic and got very good results.

Alan.

Back