Recording two passive acoustic pickups on separate channels

adventureboy

Hi there, I'd appreciate some friendly advice
I've ordered a JJB330 transducer set and an LR Baggs M1 sound hole pickup which I'm going to permanently install in my Epiphone acoustic guitar. I'd like to be able to record both sources separately and need some guidance on connecting to an interface. My understanding is that they are both passive pickup systems? So can I get an audio interface that will readily preamp each signal on separate channels or do I still need to use something like the popular Baggs Para DI before going into an interface unit?
I was looking at the Focusrite Saffire 6 and noticed that it has two input channels and is also an audio interface, so would something like this work for me and preamp my pickups or would I still need something like the Para DI, for instance?
I've heard some great sample sounds from the Baggs M1 and JJB330's, that's why I bought them. Incidentally, I also have a two-mic recording set up which I use when I can on my guitars. Only problem in my house is constant noise from kids running about so mic recording is not always possible, even if preferable. So I'm primarily interested in the best technical set up to record these pickups rather than the virtues of mics vs. pickups
I'm not totally broke but I am on a budget, but at the same time appreciate I'm not making music for Hollywood blockbusters, I just want to capture the sound nicely without loads of hiss/hum/noise. From what I've read, I hope I have purchased two decent pickup systems....I think
Kind thank you ;)

hey man, having a quick look at the Focusrite Saffire 6 specs it has combo XLR & Jack inputs which pull both line in duty and Instrument in duty (via the "inst" switch which turns them into high impedance inputs) so, in theory, you wouldn't need an extra DI box and should just be able to plug straight into the box.

However, as they're passive pickups, i'd be tempted to pickup either two DI boxes or a dual DI box just to boost the level a little on the way in. i have a fishman rare earth blend that is technically an active pickup but the output is very, very low so on the odd occasion where i DI for recording (and every time for gigs) i bung it through a DI. I used an ART MP as a DI box for a while and really liked it but i'm sure there's better units out there

Thanks for going to the trouble for me - really appreciate that. I had an ART MP which I tried using as a DI and I found it to be noisy when the output gain was raised above one third. It was like a circuitry noise. It was too loud for solo acoustic work. Thanks again. If anybody else has experience or can confirm my request I'd be most grateful. Cheers

Back