Recording and Traveling

maddrummer

Alright, I am going to be traveling somewhere and bringing my computer and my gear to record a trio. It;s for my freind and his band. Now should I bring my monitors and all that for the tracking. Because I planned on mixing it back at my place. The only thing is that i really don't have a good set of headphones to go by, just stuff that is good enough to track with. So what do you think I should do. I'm not sure if there is a standard for doing this kind of thing. Also it would probably be more than a one time thing, meaning i would have my equiptment there for probably a whole weekend. Thanks]
Josh

Bring your monitors if you can. You should always use monitors even for tracking. If you will be recording in the same room as the instruments then do a take and check it on the monitors before going ahead with the full take.

i've had really good results tracking with headphones because i know the bass response of the headphones that i'm using and i don't really pan anything during recording.

when i'm recording outside of the studio, i use a tascam 488. i was using an m-audio duo as a mic-pre, but i sold it on ebay. i'm going to buy 4 channels worth of external pre's. i hope the RNP sounds good... good-n-transparent.

i wish i could get 2 grace 201's but alas, i can't afford it.

I think I am going to bring the monitors. It's just gonna be a pain cuz we are all in college and don't have cars. So we got to bring it all on the subway or a taxi might work. Oh well, thanks Tex

Just get a clean recording

You're on the road? Just get a clean recording with no eq, compression or effects. You can do that with headphones and leave all the fancy stuff for the studio where you've got monitors etc etc.

Back