Recording a Tin Whistle

close

Has anyone ever recorded a Tin whistle? I play a lot of Irish folk music, but every time we record a Tin whistle its sounds really smooth through the headphones and monitors, then on the recordings it comes out hard driven and harsh. The levels and all that sort of thing are set perfect. In the past we have made recordings in a pro studio and it sounds really sweet. But this was on an analog system, could it be that my digital Roland VS-840 at the heart of my problem. I also use a Studio Projects C1 mic through a Joe Meek VC3Q.
Any solutions will be most welcome
All the best John.

My first instinct would be to change the mic position. Try farther away from the instrument. If your mic is in "front" of the instrument, try mic'ing from above instead. Or off axis.

Your example points out a good reason why it is generally preferable to be monitoring the signal after it has passed through your recording device, not before. This way you hear exactly what is going to be on tape/disk, and can fix any problems like this before it is too late.

Last edited:
Many Thanks to MiXit-G and littledog. I have tried all kinds of positioning and various mic's, with no benifit.
Could it be that digital won't record the higher end frequenices as good as analog.

Could it be that digital won't record the higher end frequenices as good as analog.
I'm sure that's not the case at all. If anything, just the opposite.
If you have a smalll diaphram condensor, try that from 2 to 3 feet away.

close said:
Many Thanks to MiXit-G and littledog. I have tried all kinds of positioning and various mic's, with no benifit.

I'm in complete agreement with trackrat here. Since you say you've tried various mics and positions, could you be specific?

The two key elements in the chain here for sound sources loaded with high frequency content are going to be your mic and your preamp. Please elaborate on the various units you've tried.

A small diaphragm omni like something in the Earthworks line should have no problem with any frequencies you could throw at it.

Thanks for your reply littledog.

I have tried The C1 condenser and the audio Technica small diaphragm mic. Also a SM58 and a Peavey 580tm mic’s. I also tried to record a few feet away, but to no avail.
I am using a Joe Meek VC3Q pre amp, also tried the on board pre on the Roland.
Maybe the digital system is too good at recording the higher frequency.
I suppose that sounds daft. Or would a tube mic be the answer.

I have also tried differnt whistle players.

Back