Recording Tame Impala Rock-style Drums with only 4 Mics

jdenmo

Hey guys,

recently scraped together enough money to turn my room into somewhat of a home-recording studio set up for my 3 piece rock band. I am likely getting a 1.6ghz 21.5in 2015 iMac (budget computer) with a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Audio interface to record with. Vocals, bass, guitar will be no issue- but I was initially concerned with the 4 preamps, opting for an 8 preamp at another $600 extra.

However, after some research, I found out that Kevin Parker of Tame Impala managed to get this insanely huge classic rock sound with just 4 microphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQCH-igyT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP6LgWJJSs

I did some thorough research on how he achieved this and even stumbled across some old threads on here. Here are my findings:
uIMUxaJ.jpg

NOOpjsb.png

Now what I am inquiring about is finding cheaper alternatives to those microphones. I already have a Shure SM57 but am looking to find a similar set-up that is drastically cheaper.

I figure the MD421 is an awesome mic I can use for guitars too so am looking into buying that outright. As far as alternatives to the Rode K2/AKG D12 for the kick (although SM57 may do just fine) and an overhead like the Peluso R14, I am completely clueless.

Any suggestions appreciated. I figure I can spend around $800 (CAD).

Also hope that this provided insight for all the Kevin Parker Tame Impala fans out their who also did lots of snooping to find out how it was all done

I'm also aware that a lot of the sound comes from compression and top notch mixing/mastering- but aside from that!

I could be misreading - but the K2 wasn't for kick (based on the text), it was for an overhead. The peluso (based on the text) was used as the overhead for a different session. But anyway, not really quibbling - I think any decent LDC would do for the overhead. I think a 57 is fine for kick, and the 421 for snare if that is the sound you are going for. You can probably get away with a 57, a single 421 and a nice Rode, AKG or AT LDC for the overhead. The LDC would have lots of other uses (vocals, etc). If you know anyone else who records maybe you can borrow some stuff to play with and see how close you can get.

I will say that the accompanying photos are full of contradictions when viewed with the photos. The overhead is out front of the kit, not over the shoulder from behind like described. There is a stereo pair of overheads in another picture. I don't think any of that stuff really matters though. I have no doubt you can get a killer sound with 3 or maybe 4 mics. Don't underestimate that stuff about dead drums.

Hey guys,

recently scraped together enough money to turn my room into somewhat of a home-recording studio set up for my 3 piece rock band. I am likely getting a 1.6ghz 21.5in 2015 iMac (budget computer) with a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Audio interface to record with. Vocals, bass, guitar will be no issue- but I was initially concerned with the 4 preamps, opting for an 8 preamp at another $600 extra.

However, after some research, I found out that Kevin Parker of Tame Impala managed to get this insanely huge classic rock sound with just 4 microphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQCH-igyT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP6LgWJJSs

I did some thorough research on how he achieved this and even stumbled across some old threads on here. Here are my findings:
uIMUxaJ.jpg

NOOpjsb.png

Now what I am inquiring about is finding cheaper alternatives to those microphones. I already have a Shure SM57 but am looking to find a similar set-up that is drastically cheaper.

I figure the MD421 is an awesome mic I can use for guitars too so am looking into buying that outright. As far as alternatives to the Rode K2/AKG D12 for the kick (although SM57 may do just fine) and an overhead like the Peluso R14, I am completely clueless.

Any suggestions appreciated. I figure I can spend around $800 (CAD).

Also hope that this provided insight for all the Kevin Parker Tame Impala fans out their who also did lots of snooping to find out how it was all done

I'm also aware that a lot of the sound comes from compression and top notch mixing/mastering- but aside from that!

Back