Recording in stereo or mono?

tin34543

i,

When recording rhythm guitars for metal songs from kit like a Fractal or Eleven rack,
is it better to record multiple mono tracks or multple stereo tracks, to get a big
sound? Also, how many tracks should you record? One left and one right or multiple
left and right tracks and pan them to fill the stereo field?

Thanks

I would think generally if you're doing multiples for the doubling of a part- stereo wouldn't be needed or very useful. 'Stereo for capturing a stereo effect or image, but that's a different application.

There's not much to be gained in recording in stereo unless you are recording source that has a wide sonic footprint (e.g. piano, harp. drum kit), or you can to capture a source and its position in an acoustic space.

Last edited:
If your guitar has some sort of stereo effect that you want to preserve, record it in stereo.

If it is just a relatively dry rhythm part, just record a single track for each.performance.

I would go dual mono too. Way more control.

But most of the time, for normal rhythm stuff, there isn't much point in having or recording stereo effects on a guitar that you are going to double anyway. The doubling is the stereo effect. Adding other stereo images on top of that will get muddled up pretty quickly.

I agree with all of the above in general, but there are genres where it's normal to record multiple takes with multiple cabs and mics per take.

Right, but he is using a Fractal or guitar rig, so there are no cabs.

Even with the multi mic and cab scenario, each input is treated as a mono signal. The two cab, two mic thing isn't for getting a stereo image, it's to layer tones.

I would go dual mono too. Way more control.

But most of the time, for normal rhythm stuff, there isn't much point in having or recording stereo effects on a guitar that you are going to double anyway. The doubling is the stereo effect. Adding other stereo images on top of that will get muddled up pretty quickly.

^^^ This, especially this "The doubling *is* the stereo effect."

Back