Recording Solo Acoustic & Voice

mcolling

I need to record one guy playing guitar and singing at the same time.

Here are the available mics: 3 SM57s, 1 SM58, 1 Beta 58, 1 MXL 990.
Preamps: 1 SP VTB1, a Behri mixer.
Running it through a Delta 1010.
The guitar is a nice but somewhat boomy sounding 3/4 Martin.

Yesterday, the best results were when I tried recording the guitar with two SM57s -- one at the 12th fret and the other over the shoulder -- with the 990 on vocals.

I also tried:
1) The 990 on the 12th fret, with a SM57 on the body and the beta 58 on the voice. I didn't like the 58 on his vocals -- too midrangey.

2) The 990 on the 12th fret, with a SM57 on the body and another 57 on the voice. The 57 on the body was too boomy, and the 57 on the voice wasn't great.

3) The 990 on the 12th fret, with a SM57 over the shoulder and another 57 on the voice. Less boomy, but the 57, again, wasn't great on his voice.

3) The 990 on the 12th fret, with a SM57 over the shoulder and an SM58 on the voice. The SM58 was okay on his voice. This was second best, I think.

Any suggestions?

I do this all the time. I use a MXL V67 all by it's lonesome. (the 990 should work like this too). I also use a HD28 Martin. All I do is put the mic about nose high, 12-16 inches out, (this may depend on his/her projection, and may need to be closer) and go. The mic being nose level, with me sitting down, takes a lot off the Martin boom. I do use as much gain as possible, without clipping. Hope this helps some.

Interesting. I would kind of like a stereo image, but it is not necessary. This may work, especially since the 990 is my only condenser and i only have one decent preamp. I'll try.

Any other suggestions.

I always do it with one mic as well. No phase problems and most always sounds good.

OK..
First have the musician play and listen while moving your head around in front and to the side. You may be able to get a good spot for an omni mic that will pick up both (including the natural dynamics between the two).

If you are set on using two mics, put one for the vocal and put the other in one of two places (based on what you said about the guitar):

Either about an inch higher than the sound hole angled down TOWARD the sound hole from about three inches to the side of the sound hole (past the bridge, not over the fretboard).

or

Under the high E string, by the bottom of the soundhole itself, angled up through the strings.

Remember that most of the sound comes from the bridge, and never forget the golden rule of mic-ing...move your head and wherever it sounds the best, THATS where to put the mic!

(I am not kidding that is really how to do it...but too many people mic by EYE rather than by EAR)

---

Free lessons at my website...http://BruceAMiller.us

First of all, thank you very much for the help. One question, though. I'm not sure exactly where you are refering to here:

BruceAMiller said:
Either about an inch higher than the sound hole angled down TOWARD the sound hole from about three inches to the side of the sound hole (past the bridge, not over the fretboard).

Back