Recording Snake?

poopchute

Hey,
I am looking to buy a 8 channel recording snake. Not a live/stage type. I am also looking for one that has a box on one end with all the xlr's locked into place in a 4+4 pattern or whatever. Not the kind that has loose XLR's dangling on both ends. And I will NOT buy HOSA.
Does anyone know where to buy this kind of Snake?

Not a live/stage type. I am also looking for one that has a box on one end with all the xlr's locked into place in a 4+4 pattern or whatever.

Most off the shelf snakes with a stage box (that's what they call it) are going to marketed for live use but should be fine for studio use as well. Many have returns that you can use for headphone mixes.

If you want something that's not in the catalog you can get custom built snakes from companies like Whirlwind and Rapco. I have snakes from both companies and they are pretty reliable.

I have heard bad things about Hosa so thats why I mentioned that I would not buy them.
Yeah, I do want a stagebox on one end. But when I look at Sweet-Water or Guitar-Center for XLR-XLR the only ones that seem to come like I want are Hosa.

I have one and it has really come in handy. I got it from whirlwind. It's got 16 XLRs and 4 quarter inch. It was somewhat pricey but I've never had a problem with it and it seems like good build quality. I put it near the drum set and run it to the DAW. That way I don't have 8 drum mic cables, a bass mic, and a guitar mic cable running across the entire room. Anything on that side of the room goes to the snake. Anything closer to the DAW goes direct.

I have some Hosa cables and they have been fine (d-sub to TRS looms) however they don't get moved around much. What was the problem with them?

Alan.

If your not in a rush, scour CL for a used one. I see em all the time for about 50 to 75 bucks. Good ones too.

I do agree that some of the Hosa stuff seems cheap and crappy, but I have some 8 channel snakes of all varieties that have been working for about 20 years. Full disclosure, they were snakes that went between the pachbay and the board, or the patchbay and the effects rack, so they didn't get moved very much. But none of them have failed and I have had the studio completely apart several times in the period.

I have never used a Hosa stage box.

I also have a whole shitpile of Hosa recording snakes in several different configurations. Ive ripped some apart and use the individual cables seperately for all kinds of this. Out of literally hundreds of channels as old as twenty years, there have been maybe or four or five that have gone "questionable". I've never tried any of their XLR stuff, though.

I'm using one of these with adapters for the returns (for headphones).

Amazon.com: XSPRO 12 X 4 Channel 50' Pro Audio Low Profile Snake: Musical Instruments

I plan to just throw the thing away when/if it dies as $100 is no big deal when it comes to cables (I've spent way more than that on all the other studio oriented cabling I have around here). It's PCB mounted on the interior of that thing so there isn't really any good way to fix it. So far though it's lasted 2 years without issue and I don't notice any sort of quality issue in terms of signal.

Back