Recording Setup Dilemma

MikeDMusic

Alright so here's the deal. I have a MOTU 828mkII and an apple G4 1.3 GH with 768 RAM on a DP 4.5 platform. Ok so I have been under the impression that I will need to purchase a mixer ESPECIALLY if I want to record a whole band. I was just reading about working with the 828 and a mixer. The manual said that if I use an analog mixer I will have to use the analog connection and I will ultimately end up mixing in two places (which isn't a good thing). So I definately need the extra inputs and mic pre's of a mixer..but I don't have the money for a decent digital mixer...I was looking at more like a soundcraft m12 mixer. So what would be the best set up for my situation? What would you guys do? Would I even be using the eq on the mixer for the final mixing or would it just be a waste of a good eq section? What's my best bet here guys?

On another note...I haven't really gotten to let loose on my setup yet because I am not at home right now I'm still in my dorm room in boston...so the most I've gotten to play with my setup has been recording one or two tracks with my 828 and DP just at my desk for the simple purpose of seeing if I could get sound recorded onto my computer...that worked fine....but here's my worry. When I record on lets say...Garageband ok...I can't record more that 8 or nine tracks before my computer starts to freak out and not be able to play them.This is working without any external hardware...this is just with my computer and it's built in mic and stuff you know. So I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle the kind of recording I'm going to be doing in my studio when I set up all my gear and try and record a tune with a full drum set and backing vocals and keys and guitar and lead vocals and everything you know. What's the DEAL!? Is it Garageband holding me back...will everything work better with DP and the 828 (& possibly a mixer). Or is it my processor...and is the only way of being able to do many tracks at once with a more powerful computer...HELP ME PLEASE!

I'm not familiar with DP or Garageband, but your computer should be fine to do multi-tracking. I run Protools LE on Mac G4, 800 MHz with 1.5 GB RAM (but I don't think RAM is your issue) and have successfully tracked 14 channels at once without hiccups; and mixed 28 with a good deal of plugs.

If you need the preamps, a budget mixer such as the M12 may be a good choice. I've got one on the front end of my DAW rig and like it a lot. Comes in handy for monitoring during overdubs as well. I don't use the channel EQs much during tracking; but I use it for live rehearsals as well and it's nice to have then.

Good luck.

Ok thanks a lot...So it sounds like the mixer ends up being more just something for extra inputs then?...It seems like an awful lot of money just for extra mic pre's. But if it's necesarry than I guess it's necessary. So let me get this straight. You think it's just the garageband program that can't handle the simultaneous tracks? That's good...I wasn't looking forward to having to spend $3000 on a G5 for the dual processor. Any other tips for things that are essential in a good solid setup? I'm going to buy a KSM 44, three sm57's, I have an sm 58 already..and a beta 52...I know it's sort of an endorsement for shure..but I trust their products. I also own a Joemeek threeq...which I think I eventually want to sell and buy either a twin q or a VC6Q. And I'm purchasing a pair of KRK v4's (listened to them today at Guitar Center...real nice) So am I missing anything?

Use a mixer. If you like the EQ on it use them. If you like your plug in EQ use it. Having a mixer just gives more options. In my very strong opinion mixing on a real mixer is a lot easier, more fun and just sounds better. Hell, go the extra mile and get yourself an analog mastering machine.

You can still use plug ins but having a mixer opens up a whole world of hardware tools for mixing.

I would run the ins and outs of the MOTU to a mixer and use it to record and mix to some degree.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Eventually you'll want a decent room to track/mix in but sounds like you'll have the gear to get you started.

Awesome thanks a lot. I appreciate the input. The only thing is...how...how do I mix my stuff on a mixer? I understand how I would track things using the mixer...ie. Mixer>MOTU828>DP...but how would I then mix the tracks on the mixer once they've been printed to the computer...will then changing the levels on the mixer change the levels on the computer? That's what I'm trying to ask. OR do i need a digital mixer for that capability, or does it just take some hardware rearranging...Thanks again.

I take it DP has a software mixer function. To use an external analog mixer, you'd need to route the individual tracks from DP back out of the computer to the mixer. This will require a D-A (digital to analog) conveter with enough ouputs to feed your mixer. The actual number will depend on how many tracks you've got--16 tracks, you'll ideally want 16 outputs. Once these are in your analog mixer, you an mix them there and return the master output to a separate mix down deck or back into your DAW on a new stereo track.

Great thanks a lot...so do you have any suggestions for A/D converters? Are they expensive...would it just be cheaper to buy a digital mixer and connect to the 828 via ADAT? Thanks again.

They can be pricey depending on the quality of the converters. I've got a Frontier Design Tango 24 that has 8 channels both ways (A-D, D-A) and it goes for about $600 if I remember right. Does the 828mkII have both A-D, D-A capability via the ADAT ports? I also have a Digi002R which has another 8 channels of A-D/D-A; so I can basically get sixteen channels out to the analog world.

As far as a mixer goes, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for at this point. Do you want an external control surface that you can manually adjust faders in your DAW or do you want a completely analog board with preamps, EQs, aux busses, etc. that you can use for tracking on the way into your DAW and/or mixing the recorded tracks from your DAW? If all you want is something for tracking to the 828mkII via the ADAT input, then you could look at an 8-channel device with builtin preamps and an ADAT output. The Octopre can do this as well as some others. The Tango 24 I mentioned above is an A-D/D-A converter box alone without any preamps; so if you were to get something like it you would need a set of preamps or a small mixer with direct channel outs to interface with it.

Back