Recording a semi-acoustic

Wilde

Hi Guys - Been a member for a while, receive newsletters but this is only my second post - I would like to get the best possible sound when recording my semi-acoustic. I am thinking of working on an "unplugged project" and I want to get the best out of my Ibanez AEG - As it is I would normally connect my guitar to my A2 Zoom pedal -> to a LAX 6D mixing console -> to my Saffire Pro 14 -> to my main DAW (Adobe Audition) but I am not happy with the results (for my Ibanez or Gibson electric works fine) So my question is: Should I be using 2 preamps? (the mixing console and the Pro14) or should I record the guitar straight into the Pro 14 with the EQ done on the guitar itself? I know that sometimes it is a question of trying things out - but I would like to hear your views on this. Also if it were the case of my using the 2 preamps should I EQ on the guitar and then EQ again on the mixing console or should I have the EQ of the mixing console down to zero so that I would be using it just as one of the preamps but with no added EQ?
Your input is appreciated
Thanks

Have you tried putting a mic in front of it and recording the actual sound of the guitar rather than the electric pre amp?

In my experience the recorded sound of acoustic DI'd sound nothing like an acoustic guitar. It's fine for live work and amplifying your guitar but for recording, not so much. Even a cheap Condenser mic like Studio Project B1 will sounds a thousand times better.

To answer your question, I would go direct in to the Saffire Pro 14 if I had to. Try and capture as clean a signal as possible and then work on it inside the DAW.

But seriously, use a Microphone. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
I would DI the electric (set the EQ as desired) and if the Ibanez has a decent sound, mic it like a standard acoustic guitar and get the sound. If you have two mics, then set that and get the sound, then blend the three tracks together for the final acoustic mix track with EQ, send those three as one to the master mix.

That would be my thoughts.

Thanks for the input Mr Clean - appreciated - I have a Shure SM 58 and an AKG - Perception 420 - Gonna try that - funny how I never thought of that - simply assumed the sound would be clearer with DI.
Cheers:thumbs up:

Forgive the ignorance DM60 but I do not get what you're saying - are we talking about recording an acoustic? cuz that what I want - not very good at tech jargon - sorry :(

So arcaxis - how do you go about using the A2 output? You plug in the jack from the guitar into the output and then what? How do you connect the guitar to the sound card or the mixing console? - I get the second option - recording the guitar with a mike. How about a 3rd option? - Guitar ->A2 as normal (guitar -> input - output -> to mixing console or sound card, select effect on the pedal - > and record the guitar with mike :guitar:

Forgive the ignorance DM60 but I do not get what you're saying - are we talking about recording an acoustic? cuz that what I want - not very good at tech jargon - sorry :(

I assume Semi-Acoustic (didn't look it up) that is has a pick up in the guitar. That part would be recorded like a regular electric (1 channel). Then using two mics for the acoustic (You can do it with one, but if you can two seems to work better) group the three tracks together for a blended sound as a single output to the master.

This is just a suggestion, any or none of this you could use, but I could see you taking advantage and using three tracks (assuming you have a multi-channel interface) and getting a pretty decent sound out of it.

I googled the Ibanez guitar - I really wanted to know what a 'semi-acoustic' was! :laughings:

Ok, so it's an acoustic with a pickup system (of some kind).

To the OP: Are you trying to record a more-or-less electric sound (with FX from the Zoom?) or an acoustic sound?

Hi Mike - right now I'm focusing on getting an acoustic sound - if I want the more or less electric sound I normally use the guitar with the zoom -> preamp->sound card -> DAW and it works ok

Thanks David - it's an option and I will definitely consider it

Honestly, I would consider going with David's advice the best for capturing all that you can from one performance.

Two mics. One near the bridge and one near the 12th fret. Combine with direct signal from PU and find what works best for you.

At least you have then covered all the options. If you have the ability then do it.

I have never found an acoustic with PU to sound like I would wish it to. There is also the fact that your room may make or break the sound of the guitar as well, if recording with microphones and the actual sound of the guitar... It just depends on what you expect and how much you are willing to experiment. Remember; a great sounding guitar and a great player will still sound like shit in a 7-11 bathroom. Unless that is the effect one is looking for...

Thanks for the input Jimmy - Lots of good ideas, which is a great starting point - and as you say, "do it" and see what sound you feel most comfortable with. Thanks everybody for the help and suggestions - appreciated :thumbs up:

Personally I would skip plugging the guitar in. Set the AKG up around the 12th fret about 12" from the fret board and pointing at the soundhole. Hit record with some headphones on and move around slightly in front of the mic while playing and try and find a sweet spot.

If the room gives you problems, though you'll probably not notice, turn the gain down and get closer to the mic.

Double track it (play and record it again) and mix to taste if needed.

Good luck and keep us posted :thumbs up:

I have to confess the words "semi-acoustic" did not conjure up that round holed guitar in my head!

To me the term applies to guitars like the Gibson 335 where the pickups are in the normal place and the instrument has "F" holes. I have never played a 335 (son would LUUUUURVE ONE!) but I would expect from the thinner body the sound would be quieter and less bassy than a full "jumbo" acoustic?
This means you really need a decent capacitor mic to get a low noise recording unless you have pretty good pre amps. And yes! I would also suggest miccing up the guitar. Using the pickups it is really just another "lektrik" guitar!

Dave.

There are electro-acoustics as in acoustic guitars with a pickup, usually in the bridge - a piezo type, or maybe a conventional pickup across the sound hole. A semi-acoustic is an electric guitar - typically like Paul McCartney's violin bass, or Chuck Berry's Red Gibson. Now there are quite a few - Les Pauls, and Telecasters that are hollow body rather than solid body. Compared to a real guitar they sound really quiet- and miking them up is pointless, they make a horrible sound that is useless to capture with a mic. Electro-acoustics are loud, but their audio output doesn't really sound like a real acoustic - as has been said, it's fine on stage, but just sounds wrong in a recording. Mixing this with a real sound via a mic gives more of the real sound to somebody in the room. The pre-amp in mine, with it's small graphic is pretty noisy, too.

Ok guys - thanks a million for the input - truly appreciated - it seems that the term semi-acoustic is creating some sort of confusion and I apologize - So I'll try to explain - mine is a Ibanez AEG8EBK 6 String Acoustic Electric Guitar - this is the most common description: The compact Ibanez AEG spruce topped body and SPT preamp of the AEG8E electro acoustic ensures your tone comes through in the mix. Ibanez SPT preamp used on the AEG8E has a 3-band tone control and Shape control along with a built-in electronic tuner, perfect for performance. In addition to the 1/4" output jack, the AEG8E has a balanced XLR jack for direct connection to PA. Pickup: Ibanez Under Saddle Pickup. AEG.jpg 3 band control.jpg pick up.jpgI will have a go at the various options you people are furnishing me with but at a glance, I would try first what Teddy (Mr Clean) is suggesting.

Do you ever wish Ibanez hadn't put the electronics where they did? On my AEF18 it has rotary controls in the same location and I have a tendency to occasionally hit them with my arm and change the settings.

View attachment 88410

That IS an odd place! I have only ever seen them further up on the upper bout. Do you think they were trying to save 0.1cents of wire per guitar?

Dave.

Ibanez is a mystery to me - my 12 string is the same way, no idea why they put the preamp box there.

There are electro-acoustics as in acoustic guitars with a pickup, usually in the bridge - a piezo type, or maybe a conventional pickup across the sound hole. A semi-acoustic is an electric guitar - typically like Paul McCartney's violin bass, or Chuck Berry's Red Gibson. Now there are quite a few - Les Pauls, and Telecasters that are hollow body rather than solid body. Compared to a real guitar they sound really quiet- and miking them up is pointless, they make a horrible sound that is useless to capture with a mic. Electro-acoustics are loud, but their audio output doesn't really sound like a real acoustic - as has been said, it's fine on stage, but just sounds wrong in a recording. Mixing this with a real sound via a mic gives more of the real sound to somebody in the room. The pre-amp in mine, with it's small graphic is pretty noisy, too.

Rob - I think you mean a semi-hollow body electric guitar. Les Pauls and Telecasters are NOT hollow body,they are solid wood, although many of the new LPs have carved-out "weight saving" pockets in them, and there is a semi-hollowbody Telecaster model as well.
There are some pretty good a/e pickup systems, that soudn pretty good plugged in, too, but when recording an acoustic nothing beats miking it.

That's a pain in the neck Mark :cursing:
BTW - Can we delete messages? I meant to write this reply under Mark's post - if I wanted to delete it and retype it in the right place, could I do it?

Back