Recording right on the click

This here is the sort of thing I meant by MIDI visual metronome/ conductor. They have a video of Bjork in concert with one; jump to 2:35 if you want to see it. That one is essentially 1-dimensional. A 2-dimensional version would mimic a human conductor's motion. Does anybody have experience with a device like this? I would like to know if they are beneficial.

An effective alternative to IEMs that I have had success with (in the home-studio on the drummer) is Panasonic RP-HC55 noise cancelling ear-buds with industrial ear-muffs over the top. You have to put the left one upside-down (tube pointing upwards) in your right ear, and visa-versa in your left ear so that the tubes are not in the way of the ear-muffs. The ear-muffs block out the cymbals and the noise cancelling ear-buds kill the leftover low frequency.

If POP-pip-pip-pip is painful, try the conga idea in post#31.

I normally use a cowbell sound. Most DAW's I've seen allow you to change the sound of the click.

I also don't accent the 1. The bands I was in always changed time signatures several times a song, even though we didn't change tempo that much. So I just did straight 1/8 notes and just kept track of where I was. We played ewith tracks live, so I had to play to the click ever time we played. Recording, rehearsal, live, all to a click.

Here is the click I typically use for bands:

Cuts though for drummer without being so nasty 'pong' sounding.

Attachments

• Click.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
Any "musician" that complains about a click, or can't play to a click, is a hack fraud joke and should be beaten to death.
As is and should any "musician" that can't record or play without one.
There is a fine line between playing 'in the groove' and playing tight.

If a drummer can't get it right, then that is not a good drummer IMO.

I have not seen a drummer that could not play to a click track that was worth recording. That being said, the best drummers I have recorded did not need one.
^^^^^^This is my stance on it. Any musician worth their salt should, at the very least, be adaptable which means they should be able to record to a click, whatever the sound one chooses to click with. If you can play with a drummer you can play with a click.
And by the same token any musician and especially a drummer, should be able to play and record without a click. Adapt to the needs of the moment and respond with confident skill.

Drums are hard.

Recording tempo changes during songs with a click can be tricky. If you want the right dramatic sound you sometimes can't use a constant rate of change, and if you go without click for a section it can be a trick to re-introduce it.

But elasticity of time is a thing, and clicks don't do it. Yes, I suck, but I use a click almost exclusively, and sometimes it makes things more complicated.

Back