Recording Revolution is at it again

I want to mention that some of the best drumb sounds I've heard in homerecording were by a friend in baton Rouge who used 3 mics .... a stereo pair of Crown PZM mics and a mic on the kick. It required perfect positioning to get the balance right but once he had it his drumbs sounded great.

So it can be done with fewer mics.
I'm not saying that's the way since i don't record drumbs but it CAN be done and get excellent results.

Last edited:
So it can be done with fewer mics.
I'm not saying that's the way since i don't record drumbs but it CAN be done and get excellent results.
Absolutely. I'm not sure if anyone was disputing that in itself. Like I said, I use a pretty minimal set up to record my drums (4 mics), so I'm not disputing his point. I just didn't like many of the reasons he gave. "It takes a lot of time" or "I'd rather not" aren't good reasons not to do something.

Some of my favorite drum parts are from the Amy Winehouse record. That was a single mic. So it IS a legitimate option. You have to have a good room and a good drummer. It definitely has a specific Motown type sound (especially when compressed) but it sounds cool as hell.
check the Sound on Sound article on Gabriel Roth.

Back