recording process

gitrokr

my band wants to put out a demo, and i got the main gear too do it with, the only obstacle you could say is we have lots of parts in song when its just guitar for a few measures or guitar for a few bars as an intro....usuaslly, i would think you do drums first, but since the guitars are doing 99%of the song, they sorta control it as far as not stoppping.....should we record guitars first? im just thinking if we do drums first, he might be like a beat off where an "only guitar" part needs to be, and it wont sound that good....please give me advice in this area, the more the merrier!

You need to be a little more clear on "all the gear" that you have. If you are using a 4-track or greater then you will be all right. Just record the song as many times as you need in order to get the drums down. Record the drums on track 1, guitar on track 2, and if you want, bass or vocals on track 3. LEAVE ONE TRACK OPEN!! Once you have the "perfect" drum track then go back and lay down the guitar on track 4 along with the scratch guitar (to help you keep in time with what the drummer was playing when you layed down his part). After you get your guitar part, re-do the bass if need be and then record over your scratch guitar with the vocals. Hope this helps!

How 'bout a click?

If you are set up so that you can't really get the kind of isolation that you want from your instruments without a huge amount of bleed, then try just a 1/4 beat click track. Start it off with the click, and come in on the 4th or 8th hit, or whatever. After you've got the good track down, ditch the click, unless it helps the drummer find his place, too.

Since you did not reveal what gear you plan to use - there is no way to tell how many tracks you have, etc.

Much depends on the players ability to hold down a solid groove (play in time)

However, if the music is guitar driven (most rock/pop music is) here is what I would suggest.

1. Lay down a click track (the most low cost drum machine or groove box can do this - perhap you can borrow something)

2. Have a guitar player record a "scratch track" - a rhythem guitar track for the drummer to follow.

3. Record the drums (using the rhythem track as a guide).

4. Once the drums are laid, you can lose the click (unless you need it for guitar intros. etc)

Yes, you need to do the drums first.

When the song starts with just a guitar, you will want to have the drummer click quarter notes on his sticks (or rim of snare or other part of his kit that does not generate reverb) gently so that the guitarist will have a tempo to play against. Have the drummer stop the count a beat or two before his playing comes in. When mixing, you will be able to mute the fader during the count. This will ensure that everyone who plays a solo part during the song will come in at the right times. When there are breaks in the middle of the song, have the drummer do the same thing, removing the count in the mix.

I suggest the following:

1. Record a rough take of everyone together. Listen to the take on monitors and listen for any sonic changes that need to be made, such as changes in mic placement, switching out of guitars, etc.

2. Record the drummer while playing with the guitarist. You can record the guitarist at the same time if you wish, just try to eliminate any bleed of the guitar into the drum mikes.

3. Record the basic rhythm tracks of guitar and bass.

4. Record any lead guitars or additional guitar parts (overdubs).

5. Record vocals, then record back vocals.

Hope this helps,

Cy

In instances where the drummer can't seem to play without the guitar and the guitarist can't play without the drums.
One way to do your click track is to record a scratch guitar take while at the same time (On the same track) the drummer is just hitting his sticks together in time FOR THE WHOLE SONG. This way the guitar is captured reacting directly to the drummer and the drummer is keeping time directly to the guitar player... Upon playback via headphones (While getting the drum take on tape) the drummer should be able to "Understand" how to keep time hearing his own stick hits with the guitar....You just have to crank the headphones!!!
(*A cowbell works well for this too as it cuts through)

Last edited:
Back