Recording problem

C4th

Hi
Im trying to record my alesis SR18 drum machine to my Tascam DP24.
The problem im having is that iv seperated the kick, snare to main output and Hi hats etc to Aux out.
But when im listening back i can still hear other tracks leaking through. I turned off all the armed tracks and can
still hear the drum machine playing even when any of the tracks are not armed and the pres are turned off. Im just not sure how this signal is getting
though to the recorder.
Any help would much appreciated
Cheers

Hi
Im trying to record my alesis SR18 drum machine to my Tascam DP24.
The problem im having is that iv seperated the kick, snare to main output and Hi hats etc to Aux out.
But when im listening back i can still hear other tracks leaking through. I turned off all the armed tracks and can
still hear the drum machine playing even when any of the tracks are not armed and the pres are turned off. Im just not sure how this signal is getting
though to the recorder.
Any help would much appreciated
Cheers

OK, do not have never seen either of those bits of kit so this is a busk! BUT!

The drum machine has left and right outs and I assume you can assign a sound to either channel? If that is the case you are suffering from crosstalk, the designers have not taken very great pains to isolate one channel from the other.

But why should they? For a performance machine even 30dB of isolation would be plenty but I bet it is actually better than that. Little you can do that I can see save record the tracks individually if the crosstalk really is a problem in the overall mix?

Dave.

I have an SR16 and the 2488NEO, which should be similar to the DP-24. I'll try to set this up later on and see what I get.

"tracks are not armed and the pres are turned off"

When you say pres are turned off, what are you meaning or doing to turn off the pres. Not sure if this may be a slight difference in the machines or I'm not quite understanding this.
I'm sure the concept is pretty much the same. I had the 2488 for years. You can't "turn off" the pre's. You can turn down the trim knob, but it doesn't turn them off. A loud enough signal will still get in. Tracks not being armed also doesn't mean a signal won't get in, it just means it won't be recorded.

Sorry, my fault. I meant to say. Tracks are not armed and pres are turned right down. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your reply. Thats the exact opposite of what mines doing . If i pull the fader back i can still hear it. I will keep trying to work it out. But thanks for your help.

It's been a while since I used my 2488, so I can't remember all the terms. But make sure you don't have your faders set to something like "Catch", which would mean that turning them down will have no effect unless you turn them up first to meet the volume they're already at. Not sure if that makes sense to you. Maybe enter "Catch" as a search word in the manual and you'll know what I'm trying to get at.

You sir, are a genius. Thanks very much for your help. Just lowered the internal fader like you said, and it cut out the crosstalk.
Thanks again.

Back