Recording a nylon string acoustic guitar

mjbphotos

First time today to track my Taylor 114CE-N. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time, so just set up one LDC like I usually do for steel string acoustic.
One thing I noticed that its considerably more dynamic (could be my sloppy finger picking), even if the 'regular' volume is less, so have to be careful not to set the pre too high, or it clips when there's a loud 'plunk'.
First 2 tracks were the rhythm part (finger played and strummed), with one of those just being a replaying of the bridge.
Then 21 takes of a 22 second lead part! The main instrument on the track is a piano, playing a simple arppegiated part. I quickly found out that playing the lead on the top strings really conflicted with the piano, so had to move the whole lead down to the lower 4 strings (played up in the 5-9th fret area). 21 takes not because I was messing up, but it took me that long to get something that melded into the piano part without playing against it.
Of course, how it mixes together will be a whole 'nother story!

Nylon guitars I usually place the mic a bit further away than I do with steel string guitars, seems that the sound smooths out with a bit of distance.

Alan.

6-9" from the 12th fret, but aimed a little more towards the soundhole than I normally do for a steel string. I thought the volume level was pretty low (I cranked the pre much further than I normally do for a steel string, so didn't want to increase the distance.

In preliminary mixing, I put a compressor on the lead part, may add a 2nd one. The rhythm part seemed to blend well with the piano part.

Here is a photo of how I record nylon string guitars, the extra mics were used for room as it was a solo guitar project, Classical and flimenco.

mike-pratt-blog-oct11.jpg

mike-pratt-blog.jpg

Back