Recording my band's EP

chopchopporky

Hey everybody. I'm recording my band's new EP soon. It will probably have 6-7 songs. I'm not sure how to describe our sound, so I attached two demos that we have done.
I'm curious if anybody has any advice for how I should record it. I want really punchy close-mic'ed drum sounds.
I've got a tascam us-600. So I have 6 channels.

The mics I could have access to are

SM57 x3
Behringer C2 x2
RE-20 x1
AKG C214 x1
MXL 990 x1
MXL 991 x1
Cad 7-piece mic set

Any advice? Also any comments on the demos would be interesting too. View attachment Metacognition.mp3View attachment Simple Songs (Are The Hardest To Sing).mp3

Thanks.

P.S. Here is a video of another song that will be on the EP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzOMtH45HXQ&feature=channel&list=UL

As will this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adUR8QGwZ6Y&feature=BFa&list=UL7JnQ_3qY23I

And this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdMIFcuoQ8&feature=plcp

Last edited:
2 overhead mics, one on snare, one in kick. That leaves you two free inputs for guitars and bass. Or you can record all your drum tracks and then go back and record guitar bass and vocals later. In that case you may want to mic the toms, or even mic the bottom of the snare and outside of the kick. If you have a good sounding room, maybe mic the room.

This weekend I did a session in which we used a cheap dynamic on the outside of the kick, and two condensers. One of the condensers about 45 inches straight above the snare, and the to the drummers left about head level pointed at the snare also 45 inches away. In general there was too much snare, but I can work with it. I really got some good cymbal tones with it after a bit of EQ.

You have enough mics that you can close mic everything if that is what you want. I would suggest experimenting. Maybe lay down a track and then go back and listen to it, move things around and record it again. Keep doing that until something sounds the way you want it to.

Thanks for the replies!

I was planning on recording drums with 6 mics, and then overdubbing bass and guitar.

I was thinking maybe

OH's - Behringer C2's
Kick - RE20
Snare - 57
RT - 57
FT - 57

. And then on guitar I would do a 57, and the AKG c214. On bass, I would go direct, and also mic the amp with a 57 and the re20.

I have 2-3 spaces where I could do the recording. I have

1. a small, brick-walled, very bassy room in the basement.

2. a large, carpet/wood-floor/high-ceilings living room. This room might be too live, but if I close mic'ed everything, it would turn out well.

3. my bedroom. medium sized, wood-floors, high ceiling, pretty neutral

seems like a good choice of mic's but I might put the AKG c214 on the floor tom. I think you should use either the living room or your bedroom. rooms with irregular shapes work well. move around the floor tom or something till you find a spot where it sounds powerful and then set up the set there. Close mics don't always give a natural sound, make sure the overheads sound good and bring them kinda close to the kit for a tight sound. Drums with a quick natural reverb will still sound punchy. Your ideas for micing the bass amp and guitar amp sound good too.

Back