Recording midi channels on seprate audio track

Basshead

I have been trying for days to setup my equipments to record individual midi channels on to individual audio tracks while maintaining the same start point for each track.

The equipment I am using are:

Alesis QS7 keyboard
Motu micro express
Vegas audio for Hard recording
midisoft studio 4 for sequencing.

What I would like to do is, instead of always recording the
songs that I have created to a stero wave file, I would like each instrument to have it's own track, but sounding if I had recorded them as a stero wave file in sync with each other, then I would be able to manipulate each sound seperately.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

Basshead

Load up your midi sequencer and then load up vegas. in your sequencer you should be able to mute or solo parts. Solo what you want to record on one tracks and record it in vegas. Then mute that part and solo another and record it in vegas. keep doing this until you have your whole arrangment is a multitrack song.

It's easy to sync up the MIDI channels recorded to individual vegas audio tracks. Just insert a marker sound before the actual material on each track by inserting the same MIDI note (I like a sharp snare sound for this marker). Then, once they're in Vegas, you zoom in to 1:1 and slide all the tracks so that the marks line up. Mute the markers when you're done lining up the tracks.

Thanks for your help, but I was looking for something more on letting the machine doing the work for me. I have many tracks to record and to work with them the way you mentioned would take time and that wouldn't look Pro. I found some information on the subject about synching sequencer with hard disk record program.

Thanks again for your help.

Basshead

On the same topic, when creating separate wav files for each midi track, how can you guarantee all the wav files will be synchronised when you play them all back together? I like Drstawl's idea of creating a common starting note across all the tracks and then using this to line the wav files up, but because the wav files are created at different times (albeit using the same sequencing software running at the same speed) if you included a common finishing note across all the tracks, will each wav file hit the same finishing note at exactly the same time?

If you just convert each midi track to a wav track one by one, it appears to me you're trusting to luck whether all the wav files will end up synchronised. Is this right or am I worrying about nothing??

Thanks,
Cazz.

I'm not sure about your sequencer but if it puts out MTC vegas will chase MTC (Option/Chase MTC) Then all will be in sync. Or the other way around, the sequencer will chase Vegas.

Cheers
John :)

Your right John, only one thing though, the sequencer I am using doen't support MTC. I will be purchasing a new sequencer that has that function. Any suggestion on which one is good to use with Vegas?

Regards,

Basshead

hey,

I have tried it, and if you don't set vegas to chase to mtc then all your files will be out of sync. If you chase to mtc though, they will be perfectly in sync.

To chase to MIDI, you can download Massiva which is a shareware sequencer that you can download from http://www.download.com

You can also mute individual channels with one click in Massiva so that should not be a problem

throw money at the problem

I'm probably missing the whole point of this discussion.....but it seems that a sequencer that plays and records midi while at the very same time records and plays audio would be the long term road to sanity.....all of these work-arounds and the mere mention of the dreaded midi time-code-sync-chasing make me dizzy. Cakewalk HS9 80$ or whatever you like would work even power tracks. I use Cake, gigastudio, soundscape mixtreme, and mucho out board crap and its complicated enough without sync issues.....its really neat to have the midi and audio on the same screen and be able to track all simultaneously.

Back