recording loops with looper in real time

easinelephant

hello all! new to the forum. I am trying to record my sax loops in real time, using a looper.

someone recommended me using an insert cable. so, as of now, I have my mic running IN to my loop pedal (a Ditto Looper), and then the mono end of the insert cable running OUT of the pedal, and the stereo ends of the insert cable running IN to my 2-track preamp (which is then connected to my macbook).

Currently, I can record what I play into the mic, BUT it does not pick up any of the loops.

First of all, I don't know where the tip + ring ends of the insert go in the preamp.... the available jacks on the preamp: guitar input and insert, for each of 2 tracks, and then also a stereo main L & R jacks.

that said, I've tried various combinations there and none seem to work, so I think the problem might be something else.

Any help?

Thanks!

Someone gave you bad info re the insert cable. The Ditto just has a mono output, correct? It's both the loop and the 'live' signal coming out of it, so just a standard 1/4-1/4 mono cable to your preamp/interface.

thanks for the reply. yes, the Ditto is a mono output. I tried with a 1/4-1/4 guitar cable though (from the pedal output to the preamp line in), which didn't work either. hmm...

What 'preamp' are you using? When you say it didn't work, do you mean it only recorded the live signal, not the loop? Are you sure you are getting a loop? What mic are you using? I bet your mic signal is not strong enough for the looper's input circuit. The Ditto passes the input signal straight through without processing.
You probably need to send the signal from your preamp/interface's FX send to the Ditto, then return the signal and that's why someone told you to use an insert signal.

I have an M-Audio M-Track and a Golden Age Project Ribbon mic. Yes, the weak mic signal is why someone recommended the insert.

And yes, I mean it records the live signal but no loop. (And I know the Ditto works, b/c I can run it thru my amp.)

I now have tried running the mic directly into the preamp, and then using the insert to connect the preamp to the looper (the TRS jack is plugged into the "insert" jack on track 1 of the preamp; the 2 stereo ends are running IN and OUT of the looper).

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a loop, but maybe the issue is at the computer end? I'm just using Garage Band.

I'm obviously more a sax player than an engineer. :) Thanks again for the help.

Your computer doesn't know what audio you're feeding it.

Is there a reason why you're not going sax > mic > looper > interface line in > computer?

If you go sax > mic > looper > amp and it works, ie. you're getting the looped signal via your amp as you say, then replacing "amp" with "preamp line in > computer" would work for your computer I would think... I'm not seeing a place for an insert cable in this...

And what is your "preamp"? Model would help... I'm assuming it's an interface but perhaps it's just a preamp. If so and you want to record via your comptuer, get an interface is the answer. You'll have to anyway. You can't build a house without the correct tools...

*OK - I missed that you've already told us the interface - googling...*

You have line inputs on that device (which is not a preamp incidentally, it's an interface)... use them, is my advice. Should work fine...

Hi, thanks for the help! Preamp is an M-Audio M-Track (2 tracks). Mic is a Golden Age Project R1 MKII ribbon.

I'm not going sax > mic > looper > interface line in > computer simply because someone told me the mic signal is too weak to go directly into the looper. I know nothing about mics, so I just took their word for it -- though that said, at mjbphotos' suggestion, I did try omitting the insert cable and connecting the looper & preamp with just a 1/4 out of the looper and a 1/4 into the line in of the preamp -- still no luck recording the loops.

I don't think I need an interface, as I can record just fine if I just omit the looper and record directly through the mic into the preamp.

Thanks -- so you mean just use the guitar line in with no insert cable (just use a normal 1/4 to 1/4 cable) and it should work?

thanks arcaxis -- good idea, that makes sense to me. only have 1 TS cable here though so I will round one up and let you know how it goes.

Hi, thanks for the help! Preamp is an M-Audio M-Track (2 tracks). Mic is a Golden Age Project R1 MKII ribbon.

I'm not going sax > mic > looper > interface line in > computer simply because someone told me the mic signal is too weak to go directly into the looper. I know nothing about mics, so I just took their word for it -- though that said, at mjbphotos' suggestion, I did try omitting the insert cable and connecting the looper & preamp with just a 1/4 out of the looper and a 1/4 into the line in of the preamp -- still no luck recording the loops.

I don't think I need an interface, as I can record just fine if I just omit the looper and record directly through the mic into the preamp.

You already have an interface. You said that you could go sax > mic > looper > amp and it would work - you would hear looper sounds from your amp. Your amp is expecting an instrument level signal, I'd assume and so is the looper. Have you tried it?

I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting the correct send and return insert connections into your Ditto. The tip connection on the TRS insert jack/plug is typically the send connection. Something you might try is connecting a regular 1/4" TS cable/patch cord to the insert jack of channel 1 and the other end to the IN of the Ditto. From the OUT of the Ditto with another 1/4" TS cable/patch cord loop it back to the channel 2 guitar/line in of the MTrack. Not sure where the mic/line guitar switch will need to be for levels. If this works perhaps it's just a matter of the send and return of the insert cable being backwards in the Ditto.

I think this is what MJB was saying, sort of(?)

mic >> ch1 MTrack >> ch1 insert >> TS cable >> In Ditto >> Out Ditto >> TS Cable >> ch2 MTrack guitar/line input

Close! Now that we know what equipment you have .... The channel insert is a TRS, with send on one side, receive on the other. By the way, the M Track is an audio interface, better to call it that than a 'preamp'.
Sax > Mic > M Track. Insert > TRS splitter cable > looper in & out . M Track > USB > computer

If you don't hear the loops when doing this, try reversing the send & receive cables to the Ditto. One hting I don't like about the Ditto - no lights to tell you when its on, and one button for controlling is 'simple' but not the best for looping control.

Back