recording in a living room or basement/garage

xbxrxixtx

I have a mobile recording rig and am going to record a rock band. I have two options for locations to record. One is a living room with vaulted ceilings, and the other is a large basement/garage. They want to record the bass and kit together which is already set up in their basement. The room itself is long. There is a garage portion with a car and some other stuff. Past that is where they play. A kit set-up facing a huge bass amp about 10-15 feet away. Past that is a big typical basement area with a bunch of storage type stuff all over the place (old recliners, tvs, etc). The floor is concrete and the ceiling is maybe a foot or so lower than a regular ceiling and there are wooden braces on it (ie not a flat ceiling, but braces about a foot or so apart). The other option is a regular living room of a dublex with vaulted ceilings. I haven't been there but from what I hear its just your standard room.

I was hesitant about the garage/basement because I assumed it would be a big square empty concrete space. Now that I've seen the space I think it may be alright because of the amount of stuff around to help kill the reflective sounds. I was leaning towards the living room because of the vaulted ceiling and hoped it would get a decent room sound for the kit. Upon thinking further it may be worse because there will be nothing to keep the sound from bouncing all over the place. I'm also probably not going to have a mic to use as a room mic to get the room sound anyway.

I'll be using limited mics, with even more limited stands, so the basement will be better suited for rigging up mics for the kit. Also, all of their gear is already set up there so instead of them moving everything out, and me moving my stuff in, I would just need to move my stuff in. They are also comfortable there (though they've played together quite a while and can probably play well anywhere). With the living room we also have to worry about neighbors (who are said to be cool but after hours of listening to a banging kit it can be assumed that coolness will wear off).

Am I right in assuming it would be best if recorded in the basement instead of a living room? How would be the best way to record the guitar and bass and keep the bleedthrough in tracks down? We can move stuff around in the basement and that should help with the recording. I'll turn the bass amp away from the kit, that should help. Should I build a wall or something between the two? I don't have any sound walls or anything or I could use that. I can also record the bass direct. If I do that the bass player will still need to hear the bass. I don't have any headphone distributers or anything, and was planning on using my headphones to listen to whats recording. Could I still have him playing the amp just not recording it (take bass into DI take HI Z output to amp, take the XLR out to interface) without bleeding into the kit too much?

Guitar and vocals we plan on doing seperate because their guitarist has a tight schedule (wife/kids) so my main focus is bass and kit.

Any advice?

You are going to get huge bass standing waves in an untreated basement. The 'stuff' you say is down there may absorb some of the highs (reflecting off the concrete), but not the bass.
Clap your hands loudly in the basement with no equipment and see what you hear.

From what I had the attention span to read, it seems you'd be better off in the garage, for acoustic and practical reasons.

I would suggest spending a bit of time reading in the "STUDIO BUILD" forum. This is not a simple subject.

I am new here and totally not an expert, but this post is odd to me. The first words are "I have a mobile recording rig". If its mobile, why are those spaces the only options? Does xbxrxixtx live in a rural farm community? Are the basement and living room the largest indoor spaces they can get into? If not, why not record somewhere else?

Some players will go with this and some won't, but to what ever extent you can have the drums as prominent in the room as possible. I.e., kit at full force, amps as low as possible. Guitar rigs up off the floor, players near their amps etc.

I am new here and totally not an expert, but this post is odd to me. The first words are "I have a mobile recording rig". If its mobile, why are those spaces the only options? Does xbxrxixtx live in a rural farm community? Are the basement and living room the largest indoor spaces they can get into? If not, why not record somewhere else?

If there was a better option, I would go with that. My home doesn't have the space. The artists homes are my other options. Maybe if I close my eyes and wish hard enough a perfect live room one will fall out of the sky and I will have a better option. Not everyone can afford to go out and book a good room.

Wow Brit, way to be defensive. Its not my fault you are broke and can't afford to rent space. Maybe you could do it at somebody's work after hours; or, maybe somebody's school. Maybe you can use your old high school, or your church. Does anyone involved with the project belong to a church? Maybe you can put an ad in craigslist asking for cheap space. I am sorry I even suggested Not recording in the square cement basement, but I prefer to brainstorm and fix problems rather than discussing ways to polish a turd. With your approach, I am sure your recording will sound like crap regardless of what anyone tells you. Good luck with that.

I am an aspiring musician and singer as a matter of curiosity i just wanted to ask that if i had to record a song at my home so which software and mic should i use in a basic level as i don't have that much finance to invest on these???

probably it would be a good idea to turn down the volume of the bass during the recording session and record a line out or di signal, put it on the drummer's headphones also. that takes away the heavy bass freq.

Last edited:
Wow Brit, way to be defensive. Its not my fault you are broke and can't afford to rent space. Maybe you could do it at somebody's work after hours; or, maybe somebody's school. Maybe you can use your old high school, or your church. Does anyone involved with the project belong to a church? Maybe you can put an ad in craigslist asking for cheap space. I am sorry I even suggested Not recording in the square cement basement, but I prefer to brainstorm and fix problems rather than discussing ways to polish a turd. With your approach, I am sure your recording will sound like crap regardless of what anyone tells you. Good luck with that.

If there was another option, I wouldn't have posted the question. I'm sorry you made the suggestion as well.

probably it would be a good idea to turn down the volume of the bass during the recording session and record a line out or di signal, put it on the drummer's headphones also. that takes away the heavy bass freq.

Yeah, I think DIing the bass is the way I'm going to go at least for tracking the drums as well. I want to mic the bass amp if I can. I'll see how the DI works, and go back and re-track the bass if needed.

I am an aspiring musician and singer as a matter of curiosity i just wanted to ask that if i had to record a song at my home so which software and mic should i use in a basic level as i don't have that much finance to invest on these???

You should probably post this in another area, but here's my answer:

The cheapest thing you can do is buy a USB mic and download "audacity" (free recording software). Assuming you have a decent computer that will probably be the cheapest way to go for you. Quality wise, it's probably not the best, but it's a good way to get into recording and mixing.

A better way to go would be to get an interface and a decent mic. As far as price goes, you can possibly get started for around $100-200. It would depend on the mic and interface you choose. You can find mics for fairly cheap but the quality often times is reflective of the price. If you are just starting, and trying to get your feet wet there is no reason to go spend $500 on a mic, but eventually if you do get serious about what you are recording you'll probably want to invest in a quality mic and preamp. The preamps on cheap interfaces aren't going to be great, but it can get you started.

Also it kind of depends on what you are trying to record. If you are wanting to track a full band you are going to need something with multiple inputs (unless you want to record everything one at a time). If you are just adding vocals to an instrumental you can get started with what I suggested above.

Back