recording level

B1n4ry

hi,

when i see screenshots of professional recordings, the wave forms of each audio file of each track have the same size

how can i do this in homerecording ?

thanks

The function in reaper is called normalize. Right click on the track in the DAW. You can clearly see the pops and inconsistencies , then cross fade or slice, to clean up the track.
Like this?

CAM00318.jpg

No coffee and doughtnuts, we need strong drink.

Is that signature HST?

We are in bat country.

I am a multiple felon. Nothing dangerous.

It does not matter.
Pay attention to the meters on the way in, the sound of your recordings, and the meters on the way out.
Do not pay attention to how anything looks on your computer screen.

If you want the wav to be bigger for editing convenience, the zoom tool is what you're looking for.
I would not normalise for this reason.

Last edited:
I would not normalise for this reason.

Right.

If you're going to normalize, it should be after the mixing is done, and you're at the mastering stage....and then, only if needed relative to the other songs.

There's no need to always have every waveform hit the ceiling....that in itself is not a goal.

hi,

when i see screenshots of professional recordings, the wave forms of each audio file of each track have the same size

how can i do this in homerecording ?
(1) No they don't. Unless they're just tweaking for the screen.

(2) You'd do very well to stop using your eyes unless you're looking at the VU meter on a mic preamp or something that's actually relevant.

But if you really need to for some reason (I suppose there is definitely a visual plus when editing), then:
Track Horizontal zoom control.
is easily your best bet.

Perception in reguards to the sense of hearing is so varied.

The human ear drum cannot accurately make loudness judgments on any sound shorter than 200ms. You will need some type of imaging(other than pre's vu) to get consistent results other than dumb luck. Then there is loudness in relation to pitch.

If any of you claim to be able to do this. We all should know, you are now full of it. I cant believe people are just throwing all that away. Don't take my word for it, google it. Research it. Especially the 200 ms thing. These DAW are so awesome, you get the ability to visualize the sound you create in a graphical user interface. But , do NOT look at it. Pffftt.

Use your ears, whatever. These are probably people with studios already set up, and they are playing in their comfort zone.

Document everything. Be eager to learn. One of the best things that happened to me is setting up the mic's for church choir. There is a actual way to do it. It has so much room for error in mic placement. You could , move the mic this way or that, and have no effect of the sound. Forgiving, more than you think. The basics have to be covered. KNow the paths of sound. then screw around with what sounds good to your ears.

Use tools like a room decibel meter, o scope, yes the vu, etc. I think you will get more enjoyment out it. The piece of mind that you can verify something should be worth it alone. I got this signal here at this location, how can I get it here.

If you are only using your ears, place one mic 10 ft back and hit play and record. Sounds fine.

Last edited:
Perception in reguards to the sense of hearing is so varied.
The human ear drum cannot accurately make loudness judgments on any sound shorter than 200ms. You will need some type of imaging(other than pre's vu) to get consistent results other than dumb luck. Then there is loudness in relation to pitch.
If any of you claim to be able to do this. We all should know, you are now full of it. I cant believe people are just throwing all that away. .
Full of what? Baloni? sounds shorter than 200ms can actually fall into delays and clutter so can actually be heard and seen in wave form. Pitch loudness is subjetcive to each and every one of us. To technical will sound that way anyway so i prefer to un-claim away.

Full of what? Baloni? sounds shorter than 200ms can actually fall into delays and clutter so can actually be heard and seen in wave form. Pitch loudness is subjetcive to each and every one of us. To technical will sound that way anyway so i prefer to un-claim away.

Joe, gift day sand hot. Blow wow on the open yellow. Hello knock button address.

Now were communicating.

Sorry , could not resist. I cant tell if your agreeing , making a statement, or taking your own position. And you better check what parts of the signal are 200 ms or less. It is important. Not necessarily necessary. Like that one?

Not like we all "have to have to have" , the same sound. Like that one?

Bologna, is the correct word. Haven't you ever been to prison? Bolo G n A.

Last edited:
These DAW are so awesome, you get the ability to visualize the sound you create in a graphical user interface. But , do NOT look at it. Pffftt.

Seriously Mark, going on how things look is not a good idea.
The weakest signal can be made to look like it's clipping just by having your zoom settings messed up.

Normalising all the tracks to make them look the same is bad advice too, in my opinion.
With everything normalised the master will clip, so you gota pull the faders down
What if you go on to boost something with an eq? That track now clips.

Use your ears, whatever. These are probably people with studios already set up, and they are playing in their comfort zone.
I'm not even sure what that's meant to mean.

Last edited:
What something looks like on the screen is irrelevant, especially at the track level because getting everything he same volume, or looking he same, is going to be undone by the mix. You certainly don't want your hi hats as loud as your vocals, (or louder, as they would seem if you just made them look the same) so you would turn them down in the mix...which would render the "look" of the track pointless.

Are you , reproducing the sound somebody is making in a room? Maybe you have a batcave. Your amps and room is all miced, and you are finding your style. You could then, artistically use your ears.

If you are reproducing the sound of a group, in different locations, with different equipment. You better have some tools , beside your ears. The people you are working with expect it to sound like what they had before too.

It is funny that I am the one sharing clips and photos, and giving examples. Please show me one pic of this clipped master from normalization. I don't think it can cause it setting the top and bottom based on the average.

You are honestly claiming to still have hearing superpowers?

Greg, listen to your sample clips, then listen to someothers' here. You should start taking notes, BIG TIME.

Steen, do you use the crossfading (one of many like features) ? How do you set the fader without looking? If you wanted less stress on a ending consonant, or coming in on the mic too high level. You look at the track image, then drag the fader to cover the bump in the DAW track picture.

I am trying to share honest open experience. You treated me in kind, when I didn't know the difference from wav, mp3, vorg orbis or whatever that is.. Yesterday for the first time I got to 19 tracks deep in a project. I would have had to chain 4 of my fostex A8 to attempt, what mess. This is Awesome. On tape I cannot see it other than a needle bounce or jolt. DAW is picture perfect, and I like it.

Last edited:
When mixing multiple tracks you'll get a level increase of about 3dB on average for each doubling of the track count. If you have 16 tracks the mix level will be about 12dB higher than any single track. If you start with tracks normalized for 0dB peaks you will clip the mix bus.

Making the tracks all look the same after the fact accomplishes nothing. If they all look the same because you recorded them at the correct levels then it's merely confirmation of what you already know. If they all look a bit different but none of them are clipping it's just as good as if they all looked the same.

I have not run into that yet. I only worked with 8 tracks before.

Boulder , that answers a question I had . Wait, thanks. You explained it well the first time. I had to apply it. I am making my 19 tracks clip . Case and point.

Steen, do you use the crossfading (one of many like features) ? How do you set the fader without looking?

Of course you're right; If you want to do some DAW editing, you have to be able to see what's going on.
I mentioned that in my first reply.

This is pedantry, though. When I said watch the meters rather than the waveform, I mean that a visual waveform on a screen usually tells you nothing about the actual level of the audio.
The meters will give you numbers that mean something.

If the OP wants his waves to be the same level as eachother, he should use the gain knob on the way in to adjust that.
If he wants them to look the same, he should use the zoom tool.

I'm not trying to cut you down Mark; I just don't think there's a place for normalising here, that's all.

If you are using the VU, then that will show the representation amplitude for the short signals. Stuff too fast for ears.

Yeah , your right. I am a bit wowed by what im seeing, and have to think about the basics.

Farveiw, I had trouble accessing your clips .

Back