recording latency in reaper

russlia0

Hey I have recording latency within reaper,I hear asio4all would fix it? Any suggestions besides that.anything will help.
thanks!

Could use a little more information than that.

What are you using for input? Interface? Soundcard?

Are you using the ASIO driver that came with it?

If you're using the computers onboard soundcard, you could try using ASIO4ALL but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Are you sure it's recording latency or do you mean input monitoring latency?

Go to Options -> Preferences -> Recording and look at the setting at the bottom of the panel, "Use audio driver reported latency". Is that box checked?

asio4all is a neat driver, but is the highest latency of any I have on my system. The interface's own driver will normally be the best - as others have said, Reaper isn't involved.

Ok sotry guys I'm at work right now so I don't have everything in front of me but I will in like 3 hours, what I can tell you is my input is a samson co1u pro usb mic (I think it's called) and I'm using the on board sound card, the one that says is for Windows 8,sry I don't know the names,I understand it's not reaper.

and yes that latency box is checked when i go into preference<recording.

---------- Update ----------

And there's no latency when I'm monitoring,it's perfect,just when I try to record over the firdt.track there's always slight lag.

---------- Update ----------

I've heard I can physically move the tracks to arrange together? Not quite sure how

The problem, I suspect, is that USB mics need the computer to run inputs from one input, and run the outputs from another - so I'm not sure how you have it wired. I haven't found a way to have two audio devices running at the same time, unless the driver that you are using for the mic, also is being used for the output routing? What devices does reaper think it is using for in and out?

I would forget asio4all. If your audio device has it's own asio drivers. Definitely use those. From my experience that alone did wonders.

The problem, I suspect, is that USB mics need the computer to run inputs from one input, and run the outputs from another - so I'm not sure how you have it wired. I haven't found a way to have two audio devices running at the same time, unless the driver that you are using for the mic, also is being used for the output routing? What devices does reaper think it is using for in and out?

Then input is the mic and the output is "Realtek high definition audio"

I hear this is always alot of people's out,I guess its referring to my computers speakers.

Yes but that's a pain. It should be possible to fix this. What happens if you uncheck that box and record some tracks?

Same thing!

Honestly guys I haven't sat down with it and messed with it since I posted,today I will,i will give all the info I can. And we will go from there

THANK YOU EVERYBODY

Fucking very helpful. Seriously

realtek audio devices are rarely built with any kind of effort towards latency - it's just not needed for the kind of things they get used for. The realtek drivers do allow you to have two audio devices running at the same time, because they are hard wired to the board, and are not usb devices. The problem is that to get decent quality and performance, you need an external audio device that can do in and out at the same time, and your USB mic is going to become pointless.

This does mean that if you want to stick with the USB mic, you need to work around the latency. You will have to work out how to delay tracks to make your monitoring run in sync, and frankly, it's going to be a real pain. I can't help you with Reaper, I'm afraid, but Cubase that I use can shoot tracks in time quite simply, so I assume Reaper can too - but it's a real pita to work like this!

This does mean that if you want to stick with the USB mic, you need to work around the latency. You will have to work out how to delay tracks to make your monitoring run in sync, and frankly, it's going to be a real pain. I can't help you with Reaper, I'm afraid, but Cubase that I use can shoot tracks in time quite simply, so I assume Reaper can too - but it's a real pita to work like this![/QUOTE]

I'm gonna try different DAWS I guess. this is probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone know how to move the tracks with in reaper,I know I have to unsnap them but I can't seem to physically move them

Don't give up yet. If you uncheck that box and then make manual adjustments, can you make the recording offset change?

By the way, can't you plug your headphones into the mic? What's better about using the RealTek?

You need an audio interface.

No asio4all would save your life , the default sound card that any pc has is not made to record music but to listen to music.
You need an audio interface (or sound card) with low latency created for recording purposes.

Get this: Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite

you'll want to deselect snapping to move tracks when they haven't been recorded to a click because they won't line up neatly on the timeline. To move a track back or forwards in reaper simply click the track, hold and drag it left or right.

Like others have said, the problem is not reaper, or the driver,. its the mic itself. Usb mics are generally not designed for multi-track work. They are more appropriate for amature podcasting or a situation where you want to record everything at once in one take( live streaming/gaming/voiceover) ,. just a higher quality version of a built in laptop mic really,.

Back