Recording in a large cement room

Jooonna

Hey guys maybe you can help me out with tracking ideas. I am tracking drums in our practice spot (probably just for demo purposes because I'm worried they won't come out well) the spot has about 20 ft tall cement ceilings and it's about 15 feet wide. To my ears the room isn't that awful. No obnoxious slap back sounds and a normal amount of reverb. We have some bass traps and some treatment on the walls. Question is. What mics would you guys use for overheads/room. My thought was a SDC to try to avoid some room sounds and just pick up the kit. What do you think?

I would love to hear that room in your recordings.

But if you dont want to hear anything of the room, try to dampen it as most as you can and use dynamic mics as most as possible.

For overheads, I find workind with SDC mics really annoying...but if you like those...it wouldnt hurt to try to use it.

I dont think that there is any room or OH mic that would in some way avoid room sounds. I mean thats kinda why you use them...to get a natural drum sound. And if the room sound bad the mics will pick this up. Now, to me that is not that big of a problem. Just MHO.

I'd quickly set up any microphone and record anything in there to see. Our apartment's main room is like this, and I was getting pretty serious slap back.

Back