Recording korg volca (headphone jack)

davecg321

I realise I have to connect the volca from the 1/8 headphone jack. I'm under the impression that I should use a 1/8 to dual 1/4 cable.

I've plugged it in mono using a 1/4 adaptor into a line input but can't get any signal unless I turn the preamp up on my interface (firestudio project) all the way. If I use an instrument input I get a good signal but it sounds somewhat weak.

How should I set this thing up for recording?

I use the stereo 3.5mm on the FM, monotron, and other jacks designed for headphones

Edit; oh, I usually only use one of the L/R plugs if the output is the same

You might have the wrong Y cable. Most of the 1/8 to two 1/4 cables are actually meant for two stereo headphones. You need one that splits the 1/8 to mono left right.

Since a lot of the stereo effect on keys is some sort of phase manipulation, it's very easy for the left and right outputs to be summed to mono by the cable or adapter, which cancels most of the signal and causes what you are describing.

In my box for the FM, there is a mini cable. I think it's stereo 3.5 plug on both ends. I guess, to go into your computer. Which will work fine

The implication is that they provide the working solution for computer hook-up. If one works around that, then incompetence comes into play : ) The typical Korg WARNING is do not use a MONO plug on the jacks. The signals are all MONO, but the jacks are stereo - the stereo MIC on the Korg speaker way of doing things. Anyway, I guess they have to first off support the battery operated instruments with headphones in Math Class and on the Bus. My own outlook is that Modern Korg is most Bonzai. The little products more street gear - like sunglasses. No disrespect, though, to users because the manuals are insanely Bonzai. The Volcas will still take a MONO cable thrust for control voltages, it should sync over 1/8" MONO to/from tape or the old '80s sequencers, etc..

Back