Recording guitars for re-amping

killthepixelnow

Do it right or dont do it
Hello guys, I'll be recording guitars at home in order to re-amp the tracks in the studio. This is my rig:
Guitar --> Passive DI Box --> Tube preamp --> Interface --> Software

Do you think it's advisable to use the preamp or should I go directly into the interface?
Guitar --> Passive DI Box --> Interface --> Software

I'd appreciate your input on this matter.Thanks in advance!

Here's a detail of the rig:

Schecter Hellraiser/Jackson RR3 --> Radial Pro DI --> PreSonus Bluetube v2 --> Digidesign MBox 2 --> Pro Tools 8

The Schecter has active pickups, no? Plug that one right into a Line input at unity and go.

The Jackson appears to be passive, and the HBs in it are supposed to be pretty hot. It wants some sort of high-Z buffer. An "instrument" input on the interface will give you that, but those usually also have gain which first might add up to clipping with a hot guitar and then also would have to be attenuated back down to get to your original level on the other end.

The passive DI isn't doing you any favors, and neither is the preamp except that it might be making up some of the loss from the DI.

The Schecter has active pickups, no? Plug that one right into a Line input at unity and go.
Yes, it has EMG pickups. The Mbox2 has a Line (TRS) input, so according to you that's the way to go, right?

The Jackson appears to be passive, and the HBs in it are supposed to be pretty hot. It wants some sort of high-Z buffer. An "instrument" input on the interface will give you that, but those usually also have gain which first might add up to clipping with a hot guitar and then also would have to be attenuated back down to get to your original level on the other end.(...)
Yes, the Jackson has Seymoud Duncan Distortion on neck and bridge. Pretty hot. What would be your approach for this guitar?

What you see in that diagram will work if you want to record your amp along with a DI signal. But I'd personally take out the preamp still unless I was going for a specific sound that called for it.

My advice is plug the Schecter right into the Line hole. It can handle it. Plug the Jackson into a buffered guitar pedal and plug that into a Line hole. The pedal can handle it. What comes out the other end should be exactly what you put in as long as you don't fuck with things in the DAW in between. Unity through. Done.

Nobody will agree with me, and I have to admit that the other end of things - the actual reamping - should have a big asterisk re: ground loops and such, but I do it all the damn time...

Back