Recording a gamelan

slabwax

I'm about to record the gamelan I play in. it's a smallish group,only six of us. I'm trying to get some tips for micing etc. I'll be using a Tascam dp24 so only 8 mics total at on time. The mics I have so far are

1pr Oktava 012's w/ multiple capsules.
1Cad m179
2 sm57

There are 2 lead metallophone type instruments (think vibes with hard mallets).
The third lead metal instrument is an array of smallish pot type gongs in a large horseshoe configuration. This is normally the main lead instrument. I was thinking of using the SDC mic pair over these.
There is a large pot gong set that plays the bass line. I was thinking of using the m179 over these.

That leaves the 2 57s as mics
i will also need to mic 1 large gong.
3 hand drums played in a cluster by one person. And on some songs there is a wooden flute. I thought I'd overdub this.

I know I'm going to need to pick up a few more mics but what sort of mics would be smart? I thought about using one 57s on each of the matalophones or would 1 SDC over these instruments be a better choice. Again think of vibes with very hard mallets.
Do you think a 57 over the hand drums would work or should I pick up a second M179?

i know this is not the most conventional of recording projects but there it is. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Back