Recording a full band on a scarlett-18i8

You can just run everything through a mixer and just shove the resultant stereo mix into the computer.
But you'll have to play every section perfectly cause there will be no separating instruments.
There were plenty of bands up through the 60s that recorded that way....

I have a Tascam 244. Is it possible to use its 4 mic inputs for drums. Then run the out from it into the Scarlett (this would use only 2 inputs opposed to 4). Then have 2 inputs on the Scarlett remain open for bass and maybe even a 5th drum mic?

I just did this with a band, but used 14 mics. One of my regrets was, I should have had the drummer play to a click, let the rest follow him. That way I would have gotten a timing consistency if I needed to go in a do a fix. (You still have the bleed to deal with) but at least the timing will be consistent. Next time, that is what I will do.

I used so many mics so I could have control of the levels in the mix. But, as many will tell you, the flows were pretty evident because, it was live. Make sure they rehearse a few times as issues that can't be heard when playing, can be heard when it is recorded and the levels are more equal.

Back