Question on podcast recording with 4 USB mics

oxfist

Hey, guys! I have a big question and I'll be deeply grateful if you could help me with it.

I'm recording a podcast with 3 more friends and currently we have a big issue on syncing the tracks. Our setup consist of 4 Samson Meteor Mics (USB) and two laptops running Voicemeeter Banana for mixing purposes. Each laptop yields one track containing two of the mics and those two tracks go into Adobe Audition for editting. The thing is, since each USB mic has its own clock we have a huge de-syncing problem, and it turns the editting process into a living hell, because we would have random jumps on both tracks and it would take hours to fix it even before editting. We use two laptops because the software only has 2 inputs. We've read stuff about using an aggregate device on Mac and GarageBand to centralize the four mics with a laptop's own clock but recent versions no longer have podcasting features, at least out-of-the-box, and we don't have a Mac ourselves. Nothing has worked so far.

Do you know a good workaround for this, maybe a software for it or a specific setup we could use? We've thought about switching to XLR mics with an interface but that's way out of budget for us.

Again, it would be awesome if you could help us.

Bye!

Hi,
An interface and 4 mics really is the best way to do it.
If that's impossible, I guess you could create obvious sync points every so often (clap hands) and have intentional break points in the recordings?
At least that way the job of syncing them would be much easier.

I'm not sure if there's a software solution under windows these days. Maybe someone else will know?

I agree with Steen, sounds like the wrong tools for the job. An audio interface with 4 inputs and 4 microphones (not USB jobbies) would be the way to go.

I'm surprised you even got two usb mics working ay the same time. USB mics are just making your life so hard when there's no need. find a bit more budget and do it properly.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. We've tried the whole clapping thing but since the de-sync issue happens at random intervals that was not very helpful in general. Apparently one of us got the ASIO4ALL driver so we could've fixed it, I'll update the thread if you all are interested.

Thanks again!

USB mics simply aren't made to share a system with other USB mics. They're a cost-effective solution if you're a 1-man show, but they just suck for anything else. Since they contain their own converters, they're just gonna have sync issues with other devices that have their own converters unless they can share a common word clock. I'd say that you all should save up for a while, and split the cost of an entry-level 4-input interface and some XLR mics.

$99 is pretty sweet for a Behri UPhoria: Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD | Sweetwater.com
And I see a few options on Reverb.com for 4-packs of cheapie dynamic microphones in the $150 range.

So it isn't out of the question that you could get a working entry-level setup for a little over $60 per person.

Back