Overall hookup of podcasting equipment and sound/recording issues =[

Xiaro

Hello Everyone, ill try and keep this concise as im not super amazing at everything.

So I have been trying to record both live podcasts of 2-3 people as well as single recording sessions for recording vocals for rap tracks, the problems I have happen in both.

Equipment:
- Multicom Pro Xl Processor (MDX4600)
- 1402-VLZ3 Beh Mixer
- Lots of cables ive hooked up using various guides online
- insert cables for compressor to mixamp
- Shure Beta 58A (usually used as a 3rd mic when 2 guests on)
- Shure SM7B (my main mic)
- Heil Pr40 (guest mic)

- Fatality xfi soundcard
- i7 8 gigs ram, gtx 590

Problem:

-When I record both either through the mix amp into my computer or through both the compressor and computer the levels that come from the mix amp are never high enough, I constantly struggle between having to overgain/deal with background noise ect..

- On the compressor I have the db out capped and can rarely ever see the level lights light up (lowest level light being -26db)
- on the mixamp the gain is usually set +10-30 on each mic channel as well as each mic channel slider being over U as well as the main mix out being set over

- Second problem is when listening to the mics during recording of vocals or during podcast you can hear a ting (like break hitting a tingy mesh) when speaking into the mic.
- This DOES NOT happen when directly plugged into the computer with just a mic cable, (no mix amp or compressor)

So from what im seeing on my end, I get okayish levels if i plug direct into my computer (but id have to use a digial gate plus would only be able to use 1 mic channel)

Ill attach photos of General setup.
ALL cables are brand new from a music store.
Only using 1/4 plugs or XLR for all connections

image.jpegimage (1).jpegimage (2).jpeg

Thanks for any and all help, been trying to get local and online help with this for a long time, hopfully can find some answers

The interesting bit is the fact the compressor meters don't do much either. First thing first, I assume the compressor cables are Y-splits and are in the compressor in and out the right way around? Very easy to get this wrong and then no output?

I'd also remove the compressor insert cables from the mixer and then check that the preamps are fine by hitting the pfl/solo and then adjusting the gain to give a decent level on the mixer meter, then bring up the fader to around unity and the output up till you get a decent level on the output meters. Then you can adjust your computer input. I assume you have yet another y-split cable to get the two separate left and right outputs from the mixer into the stereo 3.5mm cable? I assume that the sound card plays back fine? To be honest, you have some very nice mics and equipment plugged into a sound card that costs less than many of your cables - it's really pretty dreadful quality wise, and you should be looking at an external audio interface as soon as you can - some are quite reasonable prices, and if you really want a hiss free recording - give up using the rotten sound card - that is optimised for replay, not record. That said, it should be possible to at least get a full scale signal in with the input set to line level - assuming the thing can actually do that?

If you follow this process - you can spot where the problem occurs. I'd ignore the compressors until you get the connections functioning.

The interesting bit is the fact the compressor meters don't do much either. First thing first, I assume the compressor cables are Y-splits and are in the compressor in and out the right way around? Very easy to get this wrong and then no output?

I'd also remove the compressor insert cables from the mixer and then check that the preamps are fine by hitting the pfl/solo and then adjusting the gain to give a decent level on the mixer meter, then bring up the fader to around unity and the output up till you get a decent level on the output meters. Then you can adjust your computer input. I assume you have yet another y-split cable to get the two separate left and right outputs from the mixer into the stereo 3.5mm cable? I assume that the sound card plays back fine? To be honest, you have some very nice mics and equipment plugged into a sound card that costs less than many of your cables - it's really pretty dreadful quality wise, and you should be looking at an external audio interface as soon as you can - some are quite reasonable prices, and if you really want a hiss free recording - give up using the rotten sound card - that is optimised for replay, not record. That said, it should be possible to at least get a full scale signal in with the input set to line level - assuming the thing can actually do that?

If you follow this process - you can spot where the problem occurs. I'd ignore the compressors until you get the connections functioning.

Thanks for the quick response! Happy to hear that I may be missing better hardware as well. Do you have any recommendations on an Audio interface that would be Quality/Cost efficient for what im doing. Around 200$ give or take your argument for spending more/less.

And yes using y inserts (disconnected for this test) and 2x 1/4 to 1x 1/4 for computer in (the sound card has a frontal bay type of thing with more inputs).

I have removed every connection from the mixer
So set Solo on channel and Solo mode on mixer (pfl?) sorry not good at all the terms yet.
I have to turn my gain to almost max to get a signal that bounces from 7-0 during normal speech (from my experiance this is terrible and something is wrong?)
Then slide the fader up to Unity and undo solo/solo pfl and it bounces around 7-0 while normal speech, maybe bounces over 0 during louder laugh/cough type things.

Thanks again for any help! So very stress relieving. Looks like im getting a Audio interface, would LOOOOOVE hiss free.

Back